Regional Sandwiches From Around The World

The naming convention can get kinda funny.
Many sandwich shops and diners like to name combo sandwiches after famous people, or even regular customers that create an odd combo that everyone likes.

Our fave here is white bread, cold leg of lamb sliced then add sliced onions and home made Mayo. My family Mayo made with condensed milk. My kids line up for it. Then it's a Reuben.

Russ

Our fave here is white bread, cold leg of lamb sliced then add sliced onions and home made Mayo. My family Mayo made with condensed milk. My kids line up for it. Then it's a Reuben.

Russ

I'm in line, too!

I love cold lamb on white, but mustard for me, please.

Last edited:
2 interesting sandwiches of neighborhoods in NYC are :

A Brooklyn special (where my family was from) - Boiled shaved ham (no one likes hairy ham :cool:), with a leaf or two of iceberg lettuce (not shreaded), and mayo on white.

Hell's Kitchen (upper west side, where I work) has the Giacomo: thinly sliced roast beef heated on a griddle with onions on melted butter, placed on garlic bread, topped with American cheese, then it is all melted in a salamander.

I am a fan of pretty much every sandwich posted here so far, but I have to list one that most people aren't aware of. The "Fat Cat' or "Fat Sandwich" as it evolved into many forms. The come from the notorious Rutgers University Grease trucks that have fed countless drunk college students at 3AM. (me being one of them. lol) They are open for lunch and dinner too, but the Fat Cat was usually reserved for late night debauchery. The Original Fat Cat: Basically two burger patties on a sub roll with ketchup, mayo, lettuce, onion, tomato, and French Fries! However, over the years it has morphed into the behemoth that now exists.

https://newyork.seriouseats.com/2014/02/fat-sandwich-rutgers-university.html

I am a fan of pretty much every sandwich posted here so far, but I have to list one that most people aren't aware of. The "Fat Cat' or "Fat Sandwich" as it evolved into many forms. The come from the notorious Rutgers University Grease trucks that have fed countless drunk college students at 3AM. (me being one of them. lol) They are open for lunch and dinner too, but the Fat Cat was usually reserved for late night debauchery. The Original Fat Cat: Basically two burger patties on a sub roll with ketchup, mayo, lettuce, onion, tomato, and French Fries! However, over the years it has morphed into the behemoth that now exists.

https://newyork.seriouseats.com/2014/02/fat-sandwich-rutgers-university.html

Well you know, the idea of French fries (chips) in a sandwich is very British! I love that - its called a 'chip butty'. But with burgers too and all those trimmings... that is a whole new world.

Last edited:
The chip butty:

an-ode-to-the-chip-butty_1.jpg

Albeit probably Arabic, murtabak is very popular in Malaysia and Singapore (and Indonesia I think). The Royal Salangor Club in Kuala Lumpur did an excellent chicken curry murtabak.

ChickenMurtabak.jpg

The Thais are more into sweet stuff. Typically an ice cream sandwich in a very sweet bread roll.

icecreamsandwich.jpg

The chip butty:

In Leeds we used to put both the fish and the chips in a butty, viz:

fish and chips sarnie s.jpg

Although my favourite in my teens was the dustbin lid sarnie. A 10" diameter bread cake containing 2 battered cod fillets and a portion of chips with plenty of salt and vinegar. (And they were large fish and big portions in those days!).

At Nathan's in Brooklyn New York, chicken chow mein on a soft hamburger bun was delish. Don't knock it till you try it.

The ramen burger was having a moment for a while. A Hamburger between instant Ramen buns. Invented by a kid from Asia who grew up in California.

Back
Top Bottom