Retro American Cookbooks

Some recipes are probably not to be made... OTOH maybe it works. (4 hours boiling!)

AN EXCELLENT WAY OF BOILING CABBAGE from The Lady's Receipt-Book; a Useful Companion for Large or Small Families...
Author: Leslie, Eliza 1847:

Having trimmed the cabbage, and washed it well in cold water, (examining the leaves to see that no insects are lurking among them,) cut it almost into quarters, but do not divide it entirely down at the stem, which should be cut off just below the termination of the leaves. Let it lie an hour in a pan of cold water. Have ready a pot full of boiling water, seasoned with a small tea-spoonful of salt. Put the cabbage into it, and let it boil for an hour and a half, skimming it occasionally. Then take it out; put it into a cullender to drain, and when all the hot water has drained off, set it under the hydrant. Let the hydrant run on it, till the cabbage has become perfectly cold all through. If you have no hydrant, set it under a pump, or keep pouring cold water on it from a pitcher.

Then, having thrown out all the first water, and washed the pot, fill it again, and let the second water boil. During this time the cabbage under the hydrant will be growing cold. Then put it on again in the second water, and boil it two hours, or two and a half. Even the thickest part of the stalk must be perfectly tender all through. When thoroughly done, take up the cabbage, drain it well through the cullender, pressing it down with a broad ladle to squeeze out all the moisture; lay it in a deep dish, and cut it entirely apart, dividing it into quarters. Lay some bits of fresh butter among the leaves, add a little pepper, cover the dish, and send it to table hot.

This receipt for boiling cabbage was obtained from a physician, and on trial has been found very superior to any other. Cabbage cooked in this manner loses its unpleasant odour, and its unwholesome properties, and may be eaten without apprehension, except by persons decidedly dyspeptic. The usual cabbage-smell will not be perceptible in the house--either while the cabbage is boiling or afterwards.

Some recipes are probably not to be made... OTOH maybe it works. (4 hours boiling!)

AN EXCELLENT WAY OF BOILING CABBAGE from The Lady's Receipt-Book; a Useful Companion for Large or Small Families...
Author: Leslie, Eliza 1847:

Having trimmed the cabbage, and washed it well in cold water, (examining the leaves to see that no insects are lurking among them,) cut it almost into quarters, but do not divide it entirely down at the stem, which should be cut off just below the termination of the leaves. Let it lie an hour in a pan of cold water. Have ready a pot full of boiling water, seasoned with a small tea-spoonful of salt. Put the cabbage into it, and let it boil for an hour and a half, skimming it occasionally. Then take it out; put it into a cullender to drain, and when all the hot water has drained off, set it under the hydrant. Let the hydrant run on it, till the cabbage has become perfectly cold all through. If you have no hydrant, set it under a pump, or keep pouring cold water on it from a pitcher.

Then, having thrown out all the first water, and washed the pot, fill it again, and let the second water boil. During this time the cabbage under the hydrant will be growing cold. Then put it on again in the second water, and boil it two hours, or two and a half. Even the thickest part of the stalk must be perfectly tender all through. When thoroughly done, take up the cabbage, drain it well through the cullender, pressing it down with a broad ladle to squeeze out all the moisture; lay it in a deep dish, and cut it entirely apart, dividing it into quarters. Lay some bits of fresh butter among the leaves, add a little pepper, cover the dish, and send it to table hot.

This receipt for boiling cabbage was obtained from a physician, and on trial has been found very superior to any other. Cabbage cooked in this manner loses its unpleasant odour, and its unwholesome properties, and may be eaten without apprehension, except by persons decidedly dyspeptic. The usual cabbage-smell will not be perceptible in the house--either while the cabbage is boiling or afterwards.

And in the meantime I eat a sandwich, maybe even two and clothes go out of style, waiting for this superior Cabbage

Betty Crocker Cookbook '72.jpg

Here's one of them. The 1972 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook. :wink:

So what is the book? I only saw on-line material via the link?
I got The First American Cookbook: A Facsimile of "American Cookery," 1796.

LwzCAgAAQBAJ?fife=w200-h300.jpg

The book includes a glossary of antiquated cooking terms, such as pannikin, wallop, frumenty, emptins <- don't ask me what these mean (I don't have the book in front of me, though I would be happy to translate if I remember).

The book includes a glossary of antiquated cooking terms, such as pannikin, wallop, frumenty, emptins <- don't ask me what these mean (I don't have the book in front of me, though I would be happy to translate if I remember).

:) How quaint - I do know what frumenty is though. Its a term used in the UK sometimes. I would like to know what a 'wallop' is! Nothing to do with cod I suppose (as in 'a load of old codswallop')?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom