Retro American Cookbooks

The BBQ Bible..jpg

This one is on its way new!! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got my mom's cookbook from the late 40s/early 50s that she got at a bridal shower. I'll have to get it out to get the title and take a pic. It's starting to fall apart and is taped together so won't be a pretty picture. It's got instructions on how to handle the "help," how to build a smokehouse and root cellar, as well as a plethora of recipes. It basically covered everything an American new bride of that time needed to know.

I've also got my own Betty Crocker and Southern Living cookbooks from the mid 70s. They're also falling apart.

Craig has the Raichlan book but I'm not sure that it could be considered retro.

At a book sale I purchased three books in the Time Life Book series, "Foods of the World", pubbed circa 1970.

I have, Recipes American Cooking: New England
Recipes American Cooking: Creole and Acadian
The third is Recipes of Provencal France (not American obviously... But, hey.)

I would love to find more of these. They're spiral bound.

I'm also interested in even older cookery, and to date have: (Reprints)
Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery
Amelia Simmons The First American Cookbook.
The Old Farmer's Almanac Colonial Cookbook
Somewhere in a box not yet unpacked is the Virginia Housewife, which has recipes as well as household hints.

I also have the The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy, by the English author, Hannah Glasse, but it was fairly popular in the nascent US.

There are a couple other books from the turn of the (last) century that I got on the Kindle. I'll add them in when I have time to look up the names.

I'm truly enjoying my old retro cookbooks!! They bring back so many fond memories of when I had them before!! And the ole recipes don't go out of style, They just get better with age!! Like fine wine!! So nice to reflect on them & look to them for recipes there were tried & true!! :wink:

Last edited:
Betty Crocker Cookbook. The latest one..jpg

Here's the latest edition of the Betty Crocker cookbook. Got that also!! It was the first one that I bought since moving here! Of course, I've been cooking from scratch since I was 9 years old. Hah!! :wink:

Did you get the book mg, thoughts on it if you did???

Russ

Yep! I have read through it and it seems really good. I will definitely attempt cooking some recipes from it. In a way, because its Indian cookery its not really retro at all because such recipes don't date and are still being made today. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom