Roast beef - How do I get it crusty on the outside?

The White Rabbit

Über Member
Local time
9:40 AM
I haven't ever roasted beef. I'm wanting to replicate what I ate at the work cafe today. The meat was really tender with an overcooked crust. It was lovely.

How might I do this at home? I guess there might be some contribution from the cut as it had similar texture to that edge bit on scotch fillet.

I think you probably need to sear the outside of the beef in a pan over a high heat before roasting it. But I'm no expert when it comes to roast beef. @Yorky might know better...

Last edited:
I think you probably need to seer the outside of the beef in a pan over a high heat before roasting it. But I'm no expert when it comes to roast beef. @Yorky might know better...

Sorry, I don't. My mum used to do it but that was 40 years ago. Steak, I can do, but a joint, no. I suppose it would need serious searing (whether before or after roasting) to ensure the beef is not overcooked (I prefer my beef rare). How about a blowtorch?

Sorry, I don't. My mum used to do it but that was 40 years ago. Steak, I can do, but a joint, no. I suppose it would need serious searing (whether before or after roasting) to ensure the beef is not overcooked (I prefer my beef rare). How about a blowtorch?
Blowtorch is an excellent idea! Now I think of it I remember seeing a Chef on TV doing that.

good aged beef to start,or ensure any blood is dried off can be caused by packaging, plenty of sea salt and cracked black pepper, heat oil in your roasting tray and well sear the outside ,place then in a hot oven for 10 to 15 mins then turn oven down to 180 c and cook till core temperature reaches 35 degrees and then rest till you carve ,nice crusted mr roast beef, no added flavours needed on good beef when cooking

I don't cook roast beef. I always cook a pot roast when I want roast beef. Much cheaper. :wink:

Before I roast a piece of beef, I salt it first, then put it in the fridge overnight and completely covered. The salt draws the blood to the surface and then absorbs it again. I also do that with steaks. But tomorrow I am going to make the roast in a roasting bag. I haven't done a piece of meat in one of those bags in more than 30 years. Right now it is sitting in the fridge all seasoned and living a happy life. I will add the veggies tomorrow before I put it in the oven. I forgot how much I love these bags. No cleanup!

Before I roast a piece of beef, I salt it first, then put it in the fridge overnight and completely covered. The salt draws the blood to the surface and then absorbs it again. I also do that with steaks. But tomorrow I am going to make the roast in a roasting bag. I haven't done a piece of meat in one of those bags in more than 30 years. Right now it is sitting in the fridge all seasoned and living a happy life. I will add the veggies tomorrow before I put it in the oven. I forgot how much I love these bags. No cleanup!
How do you sear the meat if it in a bag?

I was castigated on another forum for calling this blood.

fillet burner 0 s blood.jpg

Apparently: "The red juice in raw red meat is not blood. Nearly all blood is removed from meat during slaughter, only an extremely small amount of blood remains within the muscle tissue when you get it from the store. The red liquid you see when you cook red meat is mostly water, this water mixed with a protein called myoglobin, it ends up comprising most of that red liquid."

I was castigated on another forum for calling this blood.

View attachment 8354

Apparently: "The red juice in raw red meat is not blood. Nearly all blood is removed from meat during slaughter, only an extremely small amount of blood remains within the muscle tissue when you get it from the store. The red liquid you see when you cook red meat is mostly water, this water mixed with a protein called myoglobin, it ends up comprising most of that red liquid."
I've heard this before but I still don't believe it! I know that when I handle raw meat I get blood on my hands. It goes sticky just as blood does. This is nothing to do with cooking.

I've heard this before but I still don't believe it! I know that when I handle raw meat I get blood on my hands. It goes sticky just as blood does. This is nothing to do with cooking.
You aren't supposed to add yourself to the meat. Be more careful with that knife. :D
Now back to the topic, of course it acts like blood. Both perform the same function, just in different places. So call it red sticky stuff. :D.

I am cooking a beef fillet tomorrow. I shall try and produce a short video of the blowtorch process.

And probably the subsequent hospital visit!

Fresh blood isn't sticky. It's quite slippery. Very hard to stand or move about in.

I've heard the bloody looking liquid in meats is called intracellular fluid.

Back
Top Bottom