Recipe Roasted Butternut Squash and Courgettes with Candied Lemon

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:25 PM
Its all about sweet and sour. The earthy slightly sweet squash benefits from the tang of the lemon and candied lemons give unexpected bursts of sweet sour flavour. They look very pretty too. To make a complete dish, add pieces of Goat's cheese to the vegetables toward the end of cooking.

20170609_164318.jpg

Ingredients
(serves 2 as a side)
1 very large courgette or two smaller ones
1/2 butternut squash
I large red onion
Black pepper
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 lemon
Runny honey
Olive oil
Salt to taste

For the candied lemon:

Thinly peeled zest of one lemon cut into 1mm strips
Juice of one lemon
30 g sugar

Method

• Heat the oven to 180 C
  • Peel, de-seed and chop the squash into chunks
  • Cut the courgette into similar sized pieces
  • Peel and chop the onion and chop lengthways into into quarters or sixths
  • Place the vegetables into a baking tin and drizzle generously with olive oil, honey and the juice of the lemon.
  • Chop the lemon shell into chunks and add to the tin. You can remove them later if you don't wish to eat them.
  • Sprinkle with a generous amount of ground black pepper, the ground coriander seeds and salt to taste.
  • Mix everything together to make sure all the vegetables are coated (I use my hands).
  • Roast the vegetables for an hour or until tender.
  • Meanwhile, make the candied lemon. Place the lemon zest strips into a saucepan with the sugar and lemon juice. Add water to make 100 ml. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes until the syrup reduces to less than half. Set aside to cool.
  • To serve, garnish with the candied lemon peel and pour the syrup over the vegetables.
20170609_164322.jpg

20170609_164240.jpg

Last edited:
Delightful! Nothing has changed where images are concerned for me. It must look good to even get me interested and I am interested. Runny honey- I never really thought of honey in that way. Recently I've been making lots of smoothies and I get a little irritated when I have to wait for the honey to come out. As it gets less and less I have to turn it upside down.

Delightful! Nothing has changed where images are concerned for me. It must look good to even get me interested and I am interested. Runny honey- I never really thought of honey in that way. Recently I've been making lots of smoothies and I get a little irritated when I have to wait for the honey to come out. As it gets less and less I have to turn it upside down.
A quick few seconds in the microwave will make the honey runny. :happy:

Back
Top Bottom