Room Temperature

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
9:54 PM
Yesterday evening I was watching a cooking programme on BBC World. Part of the procedure was to leave the mixture to rest for 4 hours at "room temperature"*. Has anyone any idea what "room temperature" is?

In our winter, the normal room temperature for kitchen and lounge is around 18 - 30 degC. In the summer it could be 26 - 40 degC (unless the air-conditioning is running). I'm sure that in other parts of the world the temperatures could differ even more pronounced with the seasons.

Surely these experienced chefs could give at least an indication of their idea of what "room temperature" is?

* I checked on BBC's website today for confirmation and on there the same recipe by the same chef called for the mixture to "Let is rest for a minimum of 4 hours or if you have the time, overnight in the fridge". {spelling mistake is theirs}.

I believe that a general, easy to sit in room temperature is considered to be 21C unless you are in hospital. then it is 25C

Therein lies the problem. 21 degC is cold for me.

However, surely the solution would be for the chefs to stipulate a temperature of say 20 - 25 degC instead of "room temperature"?

I wonder if the main reason however is simply to give the mixture or whatever time to 'rest' and the actual temp is not really critical.

I wonder if the main reason however is simply to give the mixture or whatever time to 'rest' and the actual temp is not really critical.

That is probably correct in colder climes.

Anything that needs to "rest" in my house goes in the fridge or else it attracts ants.

I agree with sidevalve. The actual temperature doesn't matter as long as it is above 60 and below 85.
21c to 24c is considered ideal room temperature.
Note: if you are comfortable then the food is probably comfortable.
In a cooler room, it will take less time for the food to cool down if it is hot.
Bread rises faster in a warmer room.
So what were they making?

I think it means about 20 - 22 centigrade but that is just my knowledge about serving red wine at room temperature which was explained to me by a wine expert mate.

Yes. Usually in the fridge for 60 minutes or more. Same with beer batter (for fish) and pakora batter.

My Mum makes great Yorkshire puddings. She serves them with Christmas dinner. I thought it was normal when I was a kid as that was what we always had.

Yes. Usually in the fridge for 60 minutes or more. Same with beer batter (for fish) and pakora batter.

We made this pakora batter at 13:00 today. It will sit covered in the fridge until 15:00 - 15:30.

pakora batter m s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom