Recipe Roquefort Rock Cakes

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:31 PM
A bit of fun really! @winterybella mentioned rock cakes in a post and I got thinking about how to do something quirky with a basic rock cake recipe. Roquefort Rock Cakes sprang into my mind (it was the alliteration! :D), and I thought, why not? This recipe incorporates walnuts which work nicely with Roquefort - but you could leave them out. I made them a bit smaller than a sweet rock cakes as I think they are best served as a savoury party nibble.

So, this recipe is dedicated to @winterybella, who celebrated a birthday yesterday. It is rather ironic as I don't think @winterybella has ever tasted blue cheese, let alone Roquefort (which is a French sheep's milk blue). :(

Anyway, here is the result. Excellent feedback received from the family.

IMGP0398.jpg

Photographed in natural light

Ingredients

225 g self raising flour
125 g butter
1 egg
1 tbsp milk
80 g walnuts (chopped into quarters)
100 g Roquefort roughly cut into half inch cubes (you could use another cheese but then you wouldn't get the alliteration!:D).

Method
Heat the oven to 180 C.
Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the cheese and nuts to the mixture and stir gently until evenly distributed.
Add the beaten egg and milk and stir gently with a spoon until the mixture just comes together as a thick, lumpy dough. Add more milk if required.
Place tablespoonfuls of the mixture on a non-stick baking tray and cook for 15 to 20 mins until golden brown.

IMGP0415.jpg

Why thank you so much. I will be waiting on Fedex to arrive - or will it be UPS? I honestly can't remember tasting blue cheese and if I ever did it would have been ages ago. So cream cheese won't give me the 'alliterations'? Thank you again. They look so inviting.

I never heard of rock cakes, but I trust they would be good. Almost everything that contains cheese would be good in my opinion. I imagine the taste of the cheese is very concentrated in this dish. I think it would be something very good and tasty when you want a warm cheese snack.

I never heard of rock cakes, but I trust they would be good. Almost everything that contains cheese would be good in my opinion. I imagine the taste of the cheese is very concentrated in this dish. I think it would be something very good and tasty when you want a warm cheese snack.
Rock cakes are a basic kind of cake - the sort that used to get taught in school. They are normally sweet rather than savoury and often contain raisins.

You have to try them. The original rock cakes don't call for any kind of cheese and are quite delicious in my humble opinion. Delicious and super easy. I have used this recipe sometimes. http://smartpartyplanning.com/rock-cakes-recipe/. However this new one @morning glory used introducing cheese must taste great.

They kind of sound like a concentrated version of a scone or muffin. I guess I think I have had some things that are similar to rock cakes but I am not sure that
I would have tried them outside of a restaurant. It is just one of those things that I hope I might run across sometime. I am sure they are quite tasty. THanks for posting the recipe winterybella.

Back
Top Bottom