Recipe Saffron and Marmalade Tea Bread

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:40 PM
There is a traditional Cornish tea bread made with saffron and dried fruit and I was reading that bakers used to make it with whole threads of saffron rather than crushed, pounded saffron. This was to show customers that the saffron was real and not a fake substitute.

Saffron and orange work quite nicely together so I thought, why not marmalade, for a slightly bitter twist. Vegan ingredients in brackets.

fullsizeoutput_4088.jpeg

Ingredients
250g bread flour
5g instant dried yeast
30g sugar
1/2 tsp salt
100ml hot water
1 and 1/2 tsp saffron threads
50ml milk (or almond milk)
40g butter (or vegan margarine)
1 tbsp marmalade (fine shred)

Method
  1. Place flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
  2. Place hot water in a microwaveable jug.
  3. Add the saffron, leaving the threads whole and allow to steep for ten minutes.
  4. Add the butter, cut in small cubes and the milk to the saffron mix. Microwave for 30 seconds or until butter melts. Make sure the butter/milk/saffron is at hand heat (no hotter) and add to the flour.
  5. Add the marmalade. Mix with a large spoon until the dough comes together.
  6. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth. Add a little more flour if needed.
  7. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover and leave to rise until doubled in size.
  8. Lightly grease a baking tin. Knock back the dough and knead lightly a few more times. Form into an oblong to fit the tin.
  9. Place in the tin, cover and leave to prove for 30 mins.
  10. Bake at 175C for 20 mins.
fullsizeoutput_4087.jpeg

Last edited:
Just verifying, 1-1/2 Tbsp of saffron? That seems like a lot.

Sorry - it is meant to be tsps! I'll change it. I had tsps written down as I jot when I cook - but then it seemed wrong. But I just went and looked at how much 1 and a half teaspoons is and its quite a lot if loosely packed.

Back
Top Bottom