Recipe Saffron Vegetable Stew with Chick Peas and Fennel Seeds

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:45 PM
Saffron is one of my very favourite spices. It has the magical ability to transform humble ingredients into something special. Although saffron is expensive, the other ingredients for this easy dish are so cheap that it could be called a budget recipe. Please join in The Spice Challenge Saffron and add your saffron recipes for a chance to win a food related prize!

20170909_154552.jpg

Ingredients
2 leeks, cleaned and chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced into rounds
1/2 swede and an equal quantity of squash cut into small cubes
1 inch ginger root thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp fennel seeds
450 ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp chopped parsley
A generous pinch of saffron
Salt to taste
1/4 cauliflower broken into florets
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas

Method
  1. In a large pan, gently fry the leeks, carrots, swede, squash and ginger in olive oil until the leek is softened.
  2. Add the flour and stir until dissolved. Cook for a few minutes.
  3. Add the vegetable stock and crumble in the saffron. Add the fennel seeds and parsley. Stir to combine. Add salt to taste.
  4. Simmer the stew for 15 minutes until the vegetables are almost cooked through.
  5. Add the chick peas and cauliflower florets and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes until the cauliflower is just cooked. Add water if required.
  6. Serve with bread of your choice (I made Focaccia bread).
20170909_182124.jpg

Paella is one of my favourite things - but saffron can be used for so much more.

@morning glory

Yes, I am sure, saffron has numerous uses, as it is a very ancient floral species, and spice from the Silk Route, dating back to the 6th Century Persian Empire, I believe ..

Good night and have a lovely weekend ..

We have some lurking in the back of the cupboard but I can't remember when it last got used. We seem to use turmeric more often. What does saffron taste of?

Back
Top Bottom