Salad leaves

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:56 AM
Do you like prefer crunchy crisp leaves or softer delicate salad leaves? I prefer a bit of crispy crunch. My friend who I stay with and cook for, prefers soft. I don't mind that sometimes but I do prefer a bit of crispiness. I don't really like the way delicate leaves go limp in a salad dressing. What do you think?

WP_20171118_07_11_31_Pro.jpg

I get mixed salad leaves, which vary from order to order. They can be baby spinach, rocket, mustard leaves, beetroot leaves, etc. plus usually one or two types that are crunchy and others that are like very delicate ferns. The latter go very limp when you wash the salad, but nothing that a good shake and a pat with kitchen towels doesn't cure. However, I don't find that they go limp in a simple salad dressing; in fact a vinaigrette usually perks them up again.

The picture shows the selection I received on Tuesday. One of their bags usually contain about 4 servings, and will keep quite fresh for about 10 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite lettuces are:

Rocket, Radicchio, Lloso ( an oak leaf lettuce with curly radicchio colored rims), French Endive, French Sorrel and Navarran Kress called: Canoginons.

I prefer my lettuces crisp .. And do same after rinsing them with good shake and pat dry with Kitchen Towels ..

Last edited:
I like a mix of different greens in my salad, since each brings something to the plate. Not only are there flavor differences between different greens, but I think texture is also important.

What is the consensus about croutons on salads elsewhere? They seem to be an obligatory add to any salad served in the US, but I usually don't add them when I have a choice: you can get your crunch from certain types of greens, and the croutons tend to fall off the fork or split in half when you try to spear them.

What is the consensus about croutons on salads elsewhere? They seem to be an obligatory add to any salad served in the US, but I usually don't add them when I have a choice: you can get your crunch from certain types of greens, and the croutons tend to fall off the fork or split in half when you try to spear them.

In the UK you won't often find croutons in your salad. I can't think of the last time I saw them - except in the salad bar (help yourself to as much as you like) of Harvester. Each salad ingredient is presented separately in containers so you can pick and choose and there are little dry croutons in one container. Harvester is a UK Food/Pub chain and most definitely not fine dining. You do get a good deal there in terms of quantity of food but...

I used the salad leaves (in my photo above) and an accompaniment to my dinner tonight. Still enough left for one more meal, plus there was a Batavia lettuce in my veg box today.

Back
Top Bottom