Salt and Pepper

I tend to be heavy handed with both salt and pepper. I have to reign myself in to avoid over salting. I use sea salt and fresh ground black pepper more than anything else. I also use cayenne and red pepper flakes. The "black spots" do not bother me.

I use a salt (and a chili salt) and black pepper grinders for simple dishes like fish and chips, eggs, roast dinner, jacket potatoes.

If I make stews and soups for the two of us my husband usually needs a little extra salt as I use little salt (my mum did/does so I'm used to little salt). I always have salt and pepper on the table so guests can season to their liking.

I'm a huge pepper fan. It intensifies the taste of most things. I even carry little sachets of salt and pepper in my wallet in case of emergency - an under seasoned take away sandwich, for instance. When cooking, I season as I go, but grind on additional pepper before eating - it's more effective when not partially dissolved into the food.

I have cut down the amount of salt I use in cooking and no one adds extra at the table except my mother in law. She covered the whole plate of Christmas dinner in salt without even tasting it while she was waiting for me to find some from the kitchen.

A lot of the ingredients that I use in food preparation already has salt in, like stock cubes, mayonnaise, butter and margarine, cheese, pesto, even bread, so I don't add anymore salt.
I have done it gradually over the years so we have all adjusted our tastes.
Though I did put quite a bit in to my homemade stuffing at Christmas even though there was already salt in the bacon and the breadcrumbs.

I think that if you don't get the seasoning right during cooking, you can't really rectify it at the table. Adding salt at the table to under seasoned food just makes it salty. Adding pepper would be preferable.

My wife found these last week. London flavoured crisps. They are manufactured in Johor Baru, Malaysia and taste similar (but not as good) as the original Smith's crisps with the salt in the blue bag.

london chips s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom