Salt - types and uses

Grandmother had rock salt for salting meat - before electric refrigeration and freezing - ice boxes only. Salt was chipped off of the block and used to salt meat in huge crocks.

Salt licks - large blocks of un-refined salt out in the pasture for the cows. Sometimes in the woods for deer.

Back in the day - when I had a landscaping business -I frequently returned home with achy muscles. An Epson salt bath was a wonderful curative.

When at the local fare last week, my wife bought some "Fleur de sel". A little over £1.00 for 400 gms which is about double the price we pay for normal sea salt. I'm not sure what we'll use it for as I've not had any before.

fleur de sel s.jpg

I guess. I've always seen them used on high-end dishes. I bought something similar when I made salted caramels and I think we still have it stuck away somewhere. I'd taste it first and see how salty it is just so you don't go overboard and end up with a salt lick because finishing salts are generally used pretty sparingly.

Too much salt..pickling, sea, celtic, (home) smoked, alaea (Hawaiian), curing, etc..
Had some nutmeg sized chunks of black salt from India..but it smelled terrible (tossed)

salt pile.jpg

A lot of salt there. The black salt is often used in vegan recipes to give an eggy taste so, for example, tofu scramble or frittata. Never tried it.

I have:
A grinder of salt with chili
Table (sea) salt
Maldon (England)
Rock salt (Portugal)
Salt with thyme (Iceland)
Sait with heather (Scotland)

I sometimes get the Maldon smoked salt too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom