The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:00 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0805[1].JPG

I started out with the idea of making @Francesca's Spanish Potato Omelette, and then things went off the rails a bit. How about some onion? Okay. What about some garlic? Of course. I found myself steering down a path from Spain to India, and - with potatoes at the core - it only made sense to incorporate the flavors I've used previously in samosas. Next time, I will cut the potatoes more finely, and increase the number of eggs until it holds together. Until then, I plan on enjoying what turned out to be a delicious way to highlight peas. Oh, yes...there is that, too.

Ingredients

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
4 garlic cloves, grated
4 chili peppers, Calabrian, diced
18 ounces russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
1 tablespoon ground fenugreek
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon coriander seed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
8 ounces peas
4 large eggs, beaten

Directions
  1. Heat olive oil on medium heat. Add diced onion and saute, scraping pan frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, and chili peppers and stir until fragrant, about 1 minutes.
  2. Stir in potatoes, scraping pan as needed to thoroughly to coat every piece.
  3. Stir in fenugreek, salt, coriander, lemon juice, tumeric, and garam masala. Heat until potatoes are softened, about 15 minutes.
  4. Mix in peas. Add eggs, and stir until evenly incorporated and fully cooked.

@The Late Night Gourmet

Quite a gastronomic Globe Trot across the 7 Seas !!

Beautiful récipe however, I do agree about needing more eggs to renovate the dish into an Omelette or Fritatta ..

I would use 6 to 8 eggs, so you have a " Fritatta " format of an Omelette .. and cover the potatoes and sweet peas etcetra with the lightly beaten eggs so that it sets or forms an Omelette .. Do not over beat the eggs !!!

And do not Stir the eggs once you gently pour the eggs over the veggies and spices.

This action prohibits the forming and setting of the Omelette !!

The stirring made Scrambled Eggs ..

Looks very delicious !! anyway !!

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
1 teaspoon coriander seed
I'm curious. Do you mean whole seeds? or Ground? I ask because I can't see any whole seeds in your image and was thinking about this recipe for an evening meal next week when my hubby is away from home. (not to mention the excess of eggs we have at the moment)...

LNG, I'm not sure how this is a samosa.

The samosas that I've had were a "shell" or crepe like thing filled with things like you posted.

Is this more like a fritatta?

The samosas that I've had were a "shell" or crepe like thing filled with things like you posted.

Far as I know a samosa is most definitely a pastry filled with spicy (often vegetable) filling. Peas and potatoes with the spices used by @The Late Night Gourmet are a classic filling - so I think he just meant that the omelette looked and tasted like samosa filling...

@buckytom

This is not a "samosa " .. A samosa is an Indian stuffed spicy vegetable ( can have meat too ) pastry deep fried and served as an appetiser or starter ..

The photo of Late Night Gourmet´s dish is an egg concoction with potatoes however, he did not use enough eggs to form the omelette and set the eggs over the potatoes and peas so it would look like a Frittata or Spanish Omelette ..

None the less, it looks good ..

Have a nice evening.

Back
Top Bottom