Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:57 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I previously made Samosas as a baked recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-samosas-526835

This time, I decided to cook them in the more traditional way: by frying them. I also took care to try to make them the traditional way, too: by forming a cone with the dough and stuffing it. This resulted in the shapes you see here. And, I made two more important changes: Calabrian chili peppers were included to add some heat, and I decided to cut light butter into the dough instead of using oil. The butter resulted in the golden brown color you see here. I made a dip that started as a tzatziki sauce, and added more lemon plus fenugreek and chopped cilantro. This makes for a refreshing break from the heat of the samosa.

But, what's this about "for breakfast"? What happened here was that I had a lot of leftover filling. I immediately thought of the potato mixture as the start of a sort of hash, so I pan cooked it with egg whites, then put it between two sides of a mini bagel to make my breakfast. Very tasty!

Now...I forgot to post the recipe, so here it is:

Ingredients

2 1/4 cup self rising flour
6 tablespoons light butter, cold and cut into pieces
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon ground fenugreek
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs russet potatoes
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
1 garlic clove, grated
1 teaspoon coriander seed
2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
4 Calabrian chili peppers, diced

Directions

Peel potatoes, cut the larger ones in half, and boil for 20 minutes or until soft.
Mix together the flour, butter, fenugreek powder, and salt until the dough has a shaggy consistency from the butter chunks.
Add a little water, until mixture becomes crumbly. Keep adding water, kneading the mixture till it becomes a soft pliable dough.
Knead the dough until dry ingredients are fully blended.
Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add ginger, garlic, and coriander seeds. Stir fry for 1 minute, add onions and saute till light brown.
Add cilantro, lemon juice, turmeric, peppers, and garam masala.
Stir fry for 2 minutes.
Break potatoes into small pieces, but don't mash them, and add to the pan. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
Heat enough oil to immerse the largest samosa to 375°F.
Divide dough into 8 equal portions.
Use a rolling pin, roll a piece of dough into a 5" oval, as flat as you can make it. Cut in half.
Run a moist finger along the perimeter of each half. Place a tablespoon of the filling into each half.
Fold the dough over to fully cover the filling and press any loose pieces together. Shape each half into a triangle. Repeat for remaining dough and filling.
Fry samosas, ensuring that they aren't crowded in the pan. Remove and place on cooling rack when golden brown.

IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG

Last edited:
What is the pastry you are using? A lot of recipes suggest filo. I made some 'sort of' samosas today using left over short-crust pastry dough, onions, potatoes, peas, garam masala, chilli powder and mango powder.

IMGP1847.jpg

Those look like empanadas.
Yes - but empanadas don't have Indian spices - the filling is classic samosa filling. Truth be told there are dozens of different pastries with savoury fillings across the world with different names. I could just as well call them mini pasties. Its a bit like 'flatbreads'. There are so many names for them - yet often the ingredients are pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Yes - but empanadas don't have Indian spices - the filling is classic samosa filling. Truth be told there are dozens of different pastries with savoury fillings across the world with different names. I could just as well call them mini pasties. Its a bit like 'flatbreads'. There are so many names for them - yet often the ingredients are pretty much the same.
Only the garam marsala makes it Indian. The rest could be Hispanic, leave out the chili and the mango and you have American.

Not just flatbreads.
I can take the same basic ingredients and make scones, American biscuits, 2 types of dumplings, pie crust, your short-cut pastry, and flour tortillas.

Only the garam marsala makes it Indian. The rest could be Hispanic, leave out the chili and the mango and you have American.

Not just flatbreads.
I can take the same basic ingredients and make scones, American biscuits, 2 types of dumplings, pie crust, your short-cut pastry, and flour tortillas.

Is mango powder used in Hispanic cooking?

What is the pastry you are using? A lot of recipes suggest filo. I made some 'sort of' samosas today using left over short-crust pastry dough, onions, potatoes, peas, garam masala, chilli powder and mango powder.
These look tasty! Interestingly, I've only recently heard of using filo dough in samosas. I've been making my own all this time, but that's certainly a great time-saver! I've also just updated my original post to include the recipe so you can see the process.

I previously made Samosas as a baked recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-samosas-526835

This time, I decided to cook them in the more traditional way: by frying them. I also took care to try to make them the traditional way, too: by forming a cone with the dough and stuffing it. This resulted in the shapes you see here. And, I made two more important changes: Calabrian chili peppers were included to add some heat, and I decided to cut light butter into the dough instead of using oil. The butter resulted in the golden brown color you see here. I made a dip that started as a tzatziki sauce, and added more lemon plus fenugreek and chopped cilantro. This makes for a refreshing break from the heat of the samosa.

But, what's this about "for breakfast"? What happened here was that I had a lot of leftover filling. I immediately thought of the potato mixture as the start of a sort of hash, so I pan cooked it with egg whites, then put it between two sides of a mini bagel to make my breakfast. Very tasty!

Now...I forgot to post the recipe, so here it is:

Ingredients

2 1/4 cup self rising flour
6 tablespoons light butter, cold and cut into pieces
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon ground fenugreek
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs russet potatoes
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
1 garlic clove, grated
1 teaspoon coriander seed
2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
4 Calabrian chili peppers, diced

Directions

Peel potatoes, cut the larger ones in half, and boil for 20 minutes or until soft.
Mix together the flour, butter, fenugreek powder, and salt until the dough has a shaggy consistency from the butter chunks.
Add a little water, until mixture becomes crumbly. Keep adding water, kneading the mixture till it becomes a soft pliable dough.
Knead the dough until dry ingredients are fully blended.
Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add ginger, garlic, and coriander seeds. Stir fry for 1 minute, add onions and saute till light brown.
Add cilantro, lemon juice, turmeric, peppers, and garam masala.
Stir fry for 2 minutes.
Break potatoes into small pieces, but don't mash them, and add to the pan. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
Heat enough oil to immerse the largest samosa to 375°F.
Divide dough into 8 equal portions.
Use a rolling pin, roll a piece of dough into a 5" oval, as flat as you can make it. Cut in half.
Run a moist finger along the perimeter of each half. Place a tablespoon of the filling into each half.
Fold the dough over to fully cover the filling and press any loose pieces together. Shape each half into a triangle. Repeat for remaining dough and filling.
Fry samosas, ensuring that they aren't crowded in the pan. Remove and place on cooling rack when golden brown.

View attachment 6341 View attachment 6342

WOW! Good Job

Back
Top Bottom