Sauce/Gravy Boats

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
8:13 PM
I've been searching for some time now for a "non-plastic" sauce/gravy boat without success. However, I found these this week which I thought were nice. They only hold about 120 mm of liquid each but that is adequate for my needs.

sauce boats s.jpg

My wife was searching for one for the longest time. We had a little stainless steel one, but it wasn't big enough for a whole family roast dinner. She finally found one a few months ago in an inexpensive Oriental imoorts shop. I think it was imported from Thailand, actually, which would explain your dilemma. :p:

I don't think I have one. I tend to put gravy in a jug if I serve it separately (which is rare). I get the feeling its a dying breed of tableware - on Masterchef and the like they use little individual pouring pots for each person. I'm not suggesting you should do that BTW!

I use a Christmas one. All year. I picked it out of a set that we were getting rid of a few years ago. Although, we pretty much just place pots and pans on cutting boards on the kitchen island and serve ourselves that way..

Shame though - sometimes it is nice just have a little elegance. Good food deserves a little style.
Do you remember sugar tongs for sugar cubes? Before the time when the nation started to shovel the stuff into mugs!

We just used bowls and spoons.
I don't think any of us ever owned a gravy boat.

Do you remember sugar tongs for sugar cubes? Before the time when the nation started to shovel the stuff into mugs!
Beautiful little things - I really think we have lost something in this modern world somewhere.
PS - one of the fish restaurants near to where we used to live [fish restaurant NOT fish n chip shop !] used to supply the tartar sauce in tiny sauce boats just like the ones Yorky discovered.

Beautiful little things - I really think we have lost something in this modern world somewhere.
PS - one of the fish restaurants near to where we used to live [fish restaurant NOT fish n chip shop !] used to supply the tartar sauce in tiny sauce boats just like the ones Yorky discovered.

I really wanted one to match my "blooming" dinner service (also a "Royal Porcelain" product) but it appears that they do not make them in that design.

Back
Top Bottom