Recipe Sausages stuffed with Garlic Mashed Potato

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:57 PM
Based on a post by @rascal - here. @Masticator hated the idea of sausages stuffed with mash and then covered in melted cheese with tomato ketchup. Others thought they might try it. I thought well, it just another version of sausage and mash really - why not? It seems to be a popular snack or dish in New Zealand.

So I thought I'd try to make it a bit differently and use garlic mash and perhaps some fried onions to garnish. I tested it out on my partner as a lunch dish and he seemed very happy. The way I did it didn't really make for a very calorific snack. One grilled sausage (200 Kcals), stuffed with 20g of garlic mash, no milk or butter added (20 Kcals) and 20g of cheese (80 Kcals) = 300K Kcals. Onions and sauce not included. It could be worse! On the other hand, you probably wouldn't eat just one if you liked them.

I tried a few different presentations with and without sauce.

fullsizeoutput_2f6a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2f74.jpeg

Ingredients
Grilled sausages
20g of mashed potato mixed with crushed garlic, per sausage
25g of cheddar cheese, per sausage
Thyme
Crispy fried onions (optional)
Sriracha sauce (or sauce of your choice)

Method

1. Slit open slightly cooled grilled sausages and fill with garlic mash.
  2. Top with a slice of cheese, sprinkle with thyme leaves and place in a baking dish.
  3. Bake in a hot oven until the cheese melts.
  4. Top with fried onions and drizzle with Sriracha sauce.
fullsizeoutput_2f7d.jpeg

Last edited:
Man you did it justice, that's even better than mine, lol, so much detail.!! Yeah I'm loving this site, hoping to pick up some curry tips, I love my curries, hope to post some recipes as we get into winter here in 2 or 3 months time. Lots of great cooks here as well.

Russ

As you researched this you mentioned cafes, they quite often have these in cafes and takeaway places, along with scotch eggs. Another thing we have here are cheese rolls. But that another discussion away.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom