Recipe Savoury Apple Charlotte

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
12:11 AM
apple_Charlotte.JPG
I made a mini savoury Charlotte in a ramekin dish.

Half eating apple
2 slices of bread
butter (I use vegan 'Pure')
pinch nutmeg I tsp lemon juice
handful grated vegan cheese
1 egg yolk
salt and pepper

Cut a circle from the bread and put it at the bottom on a greased ramekin. Cut off the crusts and lined the sides of the ramekin. Butter the inside of the bread-lined ramekin.
Peel and chop half an apple and add to a pan with a knob of 'butter' the lemon juice and a splash of water and cook until soft adding a little nutmeg and more water if needed.
Allow to cook.
Break the remaining bread into pieces and mix with the cheese, salt and pepper and half the egg yolk.
Mix the apple with the remaining egg yolk and spoon into the dish.
Put the bread/cheese/egg mixture on top.
Cook in oven 180 for about 15 minutes.

Last edited:
It looks delicious. Which vegan cheese are you using? I'm sure I asked you before but I can't remember what you said...
I used violife original. Our local supermarkets do little, if any, vegan cheese so I've not experimented much recently. I tried loads years ago and I found them all rather unpleasant but trying again recently I've found this brand good. Even melts to a point. Their mozzarella is supposed to be good.

A local-ish health food shop sell a German brand that is supposed to be really good but I've not had the opportunity to try it.

I used violife original. Our local supermarkets do little, if any, vegan cheese so I've not experimented much recently. I tried loads years ago and I found them all rather unpleasant but trying again recently I've found this brand good. Even melts to a point. Their mozzarella is supposed to be good.

A local-ish health food shop sell a German brand that is supposed to be really good but I've not had the opportunity to try it.

Yes - Violife is the one I use having tried others. Its by far the best but I haven't tried Sainsburys. The Mozarella style Violife really does 'string'.

Back
Top Bottom