Recipe Schweinebraten

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:57 AM
Another favorite German Dish. Serve homemade spaetzle, browned in butter, for another side. Good, hearty fall and winter fare. Well that is for most of you.

Ingredients
4 -6 lbs pork shoulder or 4 -6 lbs pork butt
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons ground pepper
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 medium onions, roughly chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup water or 1/2 cup stock or 1/2 cup white wine or 1/2 cup beer
2 -3 tablespoons flour
2 -3 tablespoons butter

Directions
Prep Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 3 1/4 hrs

1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Rub the entire roast all over with the oil and sprinkle with caraway, salt, pepper.
3) Let stand for one hour.
4) Spray your roasting pan with cooking spray.
5)Place the vegetables into roasting pan and pour liquid of choice.
6) Place the roast, fat side down, in the roasting pan on top of the vegetables.
7) Cover tightly and roast for one hour.
8) Remove from oven, uncover and turn roast fat side up.
9) Cut decorative diamonds into the fat, insert meat thermometer and replace, uncovered, back into the oven for approximately 2 hours or until meat thermometer reads 165°F.
10) Remove from oven and take out of roaster; cover with foil to preserve temperature, and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
11) Remove and save the vegetables to serve on the side.
12) Measure pan juices; add enough chosen liquid (water, wine, stock, or beer) to make 2 cups.
13) Make a roux by blending the flour and butter together very well in a saucepan; add the pan juices and bring to a simmer.
14) Slice the roast thinly and serve with the gravy on the side.
15) For additional richness, the gravy may be finished with a little butter, cream or sour cream.

Mmmm, this looks good. I can see this with a side of warm red cabbage, potato pancakes (kartoffelpuffer?), and apple sauce.

I must try making spaetzle. Some definitions say they are dumplings and some say noodles - they are made with flour, egg and water? If so then I wonder if spaetlzes count as pasta for the Recipe Challenge. Asking the judge - what do you think @MypinchofItaly?

I like the idea of caraway seeds with the pork.

I love spaetzle, but honestly don't consider them either a noodle or a pasta, as the consistency of the mixture to make them is somewhere between a dough and a batter, or a "datter" as a word I coined and others agreed with on another forum when we had a discussion about spaetzle. One of my favorite ways is to slowly melt butter with some large cut fresh sage so that the flavor is infused in the butter, then remove the sage, let the butter start to brown, then put some chiffonaded sage in just long enough so the rawness/harshness of the sage cooks out, add some salt and pepper, then add the spaetzle and toss. I could eat a whole plateful like that and have been known to, with some red cabbage for a vege, for leftovers lunch since Craig usually has his stuffed potato dumplings to make him happy (I'm not too fond of them).

Of course, another favorite is kaesespatzle, which is basically German/Austrian mac and cheese with caramelized onion and speck or some other kind of bacon, cheeses of emmentaler and/or gruyere.

I must try making spaetzle. Some definitions say they are dumplings and some say noodles - they are made with flour, egg and water? If so then I wonder if spaetlzes count as pasta for the Recipe Challenge. Asking the judge - what do you think @MypinchofItaly?

I like the idea of caraway seeds with the pork.

Oh yes they are a sort of little gnocchi, so they count for Recipe Challenge!

Back
Top Bottom