Scone or scone?

In fairness to the researchers and the study, it was about how regional dialects change, which is a huge subject, so it wasn't simply a case of finding out how people pronounce one particular word.

Paid for by whom?

The YouGov poll showed:

51 per cent pronounce it to rhyme with 'gone' with around four in ten, or 42 per cent, pronouncing it like 'bone'.

The difference in pronunciation usually changes across regions, but it can also be affected by social grade. So even if you grew up in the south, where saying scone with a long O is more prominent, you could say it differently to your local friends

This would account for my experience growing up in the South where we said scone to rhyme with 'bone' and thought scone to rhyme with 'gone' was posh,

That sounds like a "don't know".
I'm expect @Duck59 does know... but lets not bicker, guys. I'm sure there are more interesting topics.

What is the ultimate fast food?
Scone - the joke (if you could call it that) only works with the Northern pronunciation

Tum-te-tum You say either and I say either, la-de-da, you say neither and I say neither, either either, neither neither, let's call the whole thing off...

You say steak and kdney pie, I say botulism... rum-te-tum

I'm gonna go and have a bath.

Tum-te-tum You say either and I say either, la-de-da, you say neither and I say neither, either either, neither neither, let's call the whole thing off...

You say steak and kdney pie, I say botulism... rum-te-tum

I'm gonna go and have a bath.

A long 'a' bath or short 'a' bath? Bath as in 'barth' or as in bath to rhyme with 'hath'? :D

Something else the study revealed was that the -th sound is fast disappearing from the language, being replaced by an -f sound.

This leads to the worrying thought that lots of people in the south of England intend to go for a barf.

Back
Top Bottom