Scotch, Irish or Bourbon - what's your favourite whisky?

Local time
9:21 AM
Website
www.helium.com
I'm not a big whisky drinker, but I do enjoy the occasional single malt Scotch whisky. My husband will drink anything that says 'whisky' on the bottle, which means he's had some unpleasant surprises, but he also favours single malt from Scotland over everything else.

So, this one's for the whisky drinkers here - what's your favourite, and why?

I like a lot of whiskey but a bit like wine I'm not sure I could tell you why.

I'd like to sit (stand or fall!) at a proper whiskey tasting session so they can advise why you like what you like!

I'm comparitively new to whisky so not a lot of experience (Rum was the spirit I preferred until fairly recently). Famous Grouse is my choice of blended whisky and Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie are the single malts I go for.

Single malts from Scotland of course. Also - and this not only applies to whiskey - I noticed that most drinks are best consumed where they were invented. IOW in Scotland - Scotch is best. In Russia - vodka. In France - cognac. And so on. Some exceptions apply of course, I do like 18 year old Glenfiddich even if I'm in Toronto at the moment (even 15 year old is not bad at all...)

Famous Grouse is my choice of blended whisky and Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie are the single malts I go for.
I like Glenmorangie, and also Isle of Jura and Old Pulteney. I prefer the smoother ones, while my husband likes a more peaty malt. Famous Grouse is his favourite blend and mine - Phil, were we separated at birth? We seem to have so much in common!

I like Teacher's or Black Bottle as my everyday tipple with Laphroaig on a Sunday. Smoke, peat, and sea. Slàinte.

I used to consume a fair amount of scotch, I blame my borther-in-law who kept bottles of decent stuff; it no longer suits my palate. 'House' whisky is Grouse.

And one must not ignore Japan or India! Both countries make very good malts. If you like malt look out for Amrut from India, quality whisky.

My go to bourbon is Elijah Craig. I like the 30.00 price point. My favorite scotch is Lagavulin 16.

I have the barrel proof bottle of Elijah Craig (127 proof) that I'm ready to drink. Saving until my birthday poker game in a couple of weeks
20171209_095709.jpg

@detroitdad
Thanks for reviving this thread. I missed it. In my 30's and early 40's I drank Scotch - single malt - on the rocks. Glenfiddich was my favorite. These days I rarely drink Scotch or whiskey. An occasional Manhattan or Old Fashion. My birthday is also this month. You have me thinking that a shot of Scotch would be nice. :happy:

Your 127 proof Bourbon would literally knock my socks off and knock me out. That is seriously heavy duty!

@detroitdad
Thanks for reviving this thread. I missed it. In my 30's and early 40's I drank Scotch - single malt - on the rocks. Glenfiddich was my favorite. These days I rarely drink Scotch or whiskey. An occasional Manhattan or Old Fashion. My birthday is also this month. You have me thinking that a shot of Scotch would be nice. :happy:

Your 127 proof Bourbon would literally knock my socks off and knock me out. That is seriously heavy duty!

It's a tough bottle to find. Took me over s year to get it. Can't wait to share it with friends in a few weeks.

My favorite scotch is Lagavulin
Great choice! Smoky, at its best. J&B is my staple scotch, not that I drink it much these days. I've never really got on with bourbon, although in fairness I've probably only tried the commercial varieties. Southern Comfort I find too sweet, but I don't mind Jim Beam.

Back
Top Bottom