Scotch, Irish or Bourbon - what's your favourite whisky?

Discussion in 'Beverages, Drinks and Smoothies' started by Sandra Piddock, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock Regular Member

I'm not a big whisky drinker, but I do enjoy the occasional single malt Scotch whisky. My husband will drink anything that says 'whisky' on the bottle, which means he's had some unpleasant surprises, but he also favours single malt from Scotland over everything else.

So, this one's for the whisky drinkers here - what's your favourite, and why?

Francesca and ElizabethB like this.
  2. FatherCrowe

FatherCrowe Regular Member

I like a lot of whiskey but a bit like wine I'm not sure I could tell you why.

I'd like to sit (stand or fall!) at a proper whiskey tasting session so they can advise why you like what you like!

Francesca likes this.
  3. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Famishus famishus

I'm comparitively new to whisky so not a lot of experience (Rum was the spirit I preferred until fairly recently). Famous Grouse is my choice of blended whisky and Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie are the single malts I go for.

Francesca likes this.
  4. samid

samid Member

Single malts from Scotland of course. Also - and this not only applies to whiskey - I noticed that most drinks are best consumed where they were invented. IOW in Scotland - Scotch is best. In Russia - vodka. In France - cognac. And so on. Some exceptions apply of course, I do like 18 year old Glenfiddich even if I'm in Toronto at the moment (even 15 year old is not bad at all...)

Francesca likes this.
  5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock Regular Member

I like Glenmorangie, and also Isle of Jura and Old Pulteney. I prefer the smoother ones, while my husband likes a more peaty malt. Famous Grouse is his favourite blend and mine - Phil, were we separated at birth? We seem to have so much in common!

Francesca and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  6. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Famishus famishus

:D We obviously both have good taste.:thumbsup:

Francesca and Sandra Piddock like this.
  7. B164D

B164D New Member

I like Teacher's or Black Bottle as my everyday tipple with Laphroaig on a Sunday. Smoke, peat, and sea. Slàinte.

Francesca likes this.
  8. if you're still there...try a decent canadian rye...there are some very smooth ones. (but probably not as complex as a decent malt.)

Francesca likes this.
  9. I used to consume a fair amount of scotch, I blame my borther-in-law who kept bottles of decent stuff; it no longer suits my palate. 'House' whisky is Grouse.

And one must not ignore Japan or India! Both countries make very good malts. If you like malt look out for Amrut from India, quality whisky.

Francesca likes this.
  10. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

My go to bourbon is Elijah Craig. I like the 30.00 price point. My favorite scotch is Lagavulin 16.

I have the barrel proof bottle of Elijah Craig (127 proof) that I'm ready to drink. Saving until my birthday poker game in a couple of weeks 20171209_095709.jpg

11. ElizabethB

ElizabethB Senior Member

@detroitdad
    Thanks for reviving this thread. I missed it. In my 30's and early 40's I drank Scotch - single malt - on the rocks. Glenfiddich was my favorite. These days I rarely drink Scotch or whiskey. An occasional Manhattan or Old Fashion. My birthday is also this month. You have me thinking that a shot of Scotch would be nice. :happy:

Your 127 proof Bourbon would literally knock my socks off and knock me out. That is seriously heavy duty!

Francesca and detroitdad like this.
  12. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

It's a tough bottle to find. Took me over s year to get it. Can't wait to share it with friends in a few weeks.

13. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

had a glass of the Bowmore last night

20171227_181022.jpg

14. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Me too - it predates my joining the forum by 3 years! I think I should really move these posts to start a new thread. given that the thread starter was last seen on the forum in 2014.

15. epicuric

epicuric Über Member Staff Member

Great choice! Smoky, at its best. J&B is my staple scotch, not that I drink it much these days. I've never really got on with bourbon, although in fairness I've probably only tried the commercial varieties. Southern Comfort I find too sweet, but I don't mind Jim Beam.

ElizabethB, detroitdad and Francesca like this.