Seeking advice on working with sugar glass

Soozanne

Über Member
Local time
9:02 AM
Hi everyone. I’m new here and I’m looking for some specific advice about sugar glass. If anyone can assist, I’d be very grateful.

My husband is a huge train enthusiast. It’s his birthday in a couple of weeks and I thought I’d try to make him a cake in the shape of a London Underground tube train (I’m UK-based, incidentally). My plan for the cake is to make it in a couple of loaf tins, slice them across the middle and fill with a filling before covering in ready-to-roll white icing and decorating with doors, roof, wheels etc. in ready-to-roll icing in different colours. What I would really like to do is make windows for the train using sugar glass which I would then stick on. Having never made sugar glass before, I don’t know how ‘workable’ it is. In an ideal world, I would try to make a sheet of glass and cut it to the appropriate shapes using a sharp knife but I have no idea if the glass will be too brittle for me to do that and just shatter when I try.

Another option is to somehow make the windows from a mould but again, what kind of mould – silicon? Or to perhaps make window frames from icing and pour the liquid sugar glass into it but I have no idea how easy that would be to do and I would prefer to try the whole ‘cutting it to size’ thing if such an option were possible.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Soozanne and welcome to the forum.

If you buy some boiled sweets you can crush them up in a pestle and mortar and fill a 'frame' made of biscuit dough on non-stick baking paper. When you cook the biscuit dough the crushed boiled sweet will melt and form a window pane. This is a brilliant way of making Xmas tree decorations as you can cut shapes out of the middle of biscuit dough shapes and make lots of brightly coloured 'stained glass windows'. And they are edible, of course.

If you want the windows to look non-coloured, I suppose you could use Fox's Glacier mints!

Wow this sounds really awesome and very creative. You will have to post of picture of it when you finish
it. I would love to see how it turns out. You certainly have a lot of patience to take on such a task. He is going
to love it!

Thanks morning glory and L_B. I did think about making stained glass biscuits and maybe this is the way to go rather than sugar glass. I wonder if I can make thinnish ginger biscuits with windows but if I did, is there a way for me to attach these to the iced cake? Can I make some sort of adhesive from icing sugar or would I need a special product?

Thanks morning glory and L_B. I did think about making stained glass biscuits and maybe this is the way to go rather than sugar glass. I wonder if I can make thinnish ginger biscuits with windows but if I did, is there a way for me to attach these to the iced cake? Can I make some sort of adhesive from icing sugar or would I need a special product?
I'm sure you could stick them on with icing. If you google making sugar glass there are a number of videos. You would need moulds to make it into window shapes. But, TBH I think using boiled sweets might be easier. Why not do an experiment of using ginger biscuit dough and boiled sweets ahead of time?

Back
Top Bottom