Serbian Fish Soup

djordjem87

Veteran
Local time
1:07 AM
I wrote Serbian because i actually found online articles in English about Serbian Fish Soup. We call it Fish Broth or Fish bisk.Either way, the process of making it is quite interesting. It qualifies in outdoor cooking. We have these big pots that are placed on some sort of a holder. Picture will explain better.
https://serbiathroughamericaneyes.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/sl_zlatni_kotlic_0812_b.jpg
There are a lot of different opinions on this one but i believe that at least to kinds of fish should be used. Anyway, we use fresh water fish because of all the rivers we have. Best way is to go to the river, fish for a while and then prepare a bisk of your catch.
4 kg of fresh water fish is enough for pot this big
250 ml of oil
5 big onions
5 big carrots
2 big parsnips
half of a smaller celery
one whole onion
1,5 l of tomato paste or fresh tomatoes in the same amount

You will need some spices for this one as well.
The obligatory ones are salt and pepper, ground red pepper and lorber.
Some people put fres hot pepper, dill, clove.
Another important thing that a forgot is parsley and allspice ( Pimenta oficinallis B)

There is an order what to put first but i think you get the point and since this is not a recipe i think it is not so important. However if you want a recipe just tell me so. How about countries of your own. What spices do you use for this beautiful dish? Do you make it similar like this, outside?

I eat quite a bit of fish but I've never had fish soup before! It certainly sounds like it would be a good winter warmer, but my head just can't really wrap around the fact that fish goes in a soup! Maybe it's a textural thing for me!

Back
Top Bottom