Recipe Sesame Ahi Tuna

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
4:03 PM
Real simple dish that has a wonderfully fresh flavor.

I made some sesame oil by roasting sesame seeds in some oil

Ingredients

Oil
Lemon zest/Lemon juice
kosher salt
Black pepper
Sesame seeds

Lightly coat the tuna in oil. Add a smidgen of salt and pepper to both sides of the Tuna. Squeeze a dash of lemon juice on each side. Add a health dose of lemon zest to each side. Coat both sides in sesame seeds.

Get the oil in the pan smoking hot.

Cook Tuna on each side for about 1 minute.

I'll add pictures in just a second.

20180513_175019.jpg
20180513_181619.jpg
20180513_182031.jpg

I like the idea of adding lemon zest.

We often serve our seared tuna with a dipping sauce made from soy sauce, minced ginger and garlic, and a bit of peanut butter melted in.

I've made a similar sauce before. Neither my son or I are big "dipping sauce" fans. I prefer most of my meats with a rub and no sauce. The exception being BBQ :)

That's clever! I'd not thought of doing that. Lovely pink tuna...

I wasn't sure if that was the right way or not. It was a last minute thought. I didn't take pictures of it. I forgot lol, plus with the seeds in the hot oil it needed my full attention.

I wasn't sure if that was the right way or not. It was a last minute thought. I didn't take pictures of it. I forgot lol, plus with the seeds in the hot oil it needed my full attention.

I buy mine ready-made. I suspect they are pressed to release their oil. With the ready-made you can only use a very small amount - otherwise it completely overpowers the dish. You couldn't really use it to fry things in unless mixed with another oil.

I love this treatment of the tuna. I've often had this at restaurants, and thought it wouldn't be hard to recreate, but I never got around to it. Thanks for saving me the trouble of figuring out how to do it myself. :)

Its one of the easier dishes to make. Honestly, I like it better without the sesame seeds. The key is getting the pan fricken smoking hot to get a good sear on the tuna without over cooking it.

My oldest, my youngest, and I love it. My wife isn't a fan unless I over cook it for her. I refuse to do that lol.

Back
Top Bottom