Recipe Sesame Ahi Tuna

Discussion in 'Fish and Seafood' started by detroitdad, May 13, 2018.

1. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

Real simple dish that has a wonderfully fresh flavor.

I made some sesame oil by roasting sesame seeds in some oil

Ingredients

Oil
    Lemon zest/Lemon juice
    kosher salt
    Black pepper
    Sesame seeds

Lightly coat the tuna in oil. Add a smidgen of salt and pepper to both sides of the Tuna. Squeeze a dash of lemon juice on each side. Add a health dose of lemon zest to each side. Coat both sides in sesame seeds.

Get the oil in the pan smoking hot.

Cook Tuna on each side for about 1 minute.

I'll add pictures in just a second.

20180513_175019.jpg 20180513_181619.jpg 20180513_182031.jpg

2. buckytom

buckytom Senior Member

I like the idea of adding lemon zest.

We often serve our seared tuna with a dipping sauce made from soy sauce, minced ginger and garlic, and a bit of peanut butter melted in.

3. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

That's clever! I'd not thought of doing that. Lovely pink tuna...

detroitdad likes this.
  4. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

I've made a similar sauce before. Neither my son or I are big "dipping sauce" fans. I prefer most of my meats with a rub and no sauce. The exception being BBQ :)

I wasn't sure if that was the right way or not. It was a last minute thought. I didn't take pictures of it. I forgot lol, plus with the seeds in the hot oil it needed my full attention.

5. morning glory

I buy mine ready-made. I suspect they are pressed to release their oil. With the ready-made you can only use a very small amount - otherwise it completely overpowers the dish. You couldn't really use it to fry things in unless mixed with another oil.

buckytom likes this.
  6. buckytom

buckytom Senior Member

Much like olives, and peanuts, and babies.

7. morning glory

:roflmao:

8. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

I love this treatment of the tuna. I've often had this at restaurants, and thought it wouldn't be hard to recreate, but I never got around to it. Thanks for saving me the trouble of figuring out how to do it myself. :)

morning glory and detroitdad like this.
  9. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

Its one of the easier dishes to make. Honestly, I like it better without the sesame seeds. The key is getting the pan fricken smoking hot to get a good sear on the tuna without over cooking it.

My oldest, my youngest, and I love it. My wife isn't a fan unless I over cook it for her. I refuse to do that lol.