Sesame oil

I like the rich nutty flavor that the oil gives food. I bought a small 5oz bottle and have used it in 4 dishes and still have about half the bottle remaining. At first I thought the bottle was expensive for the amount of oil you get, but it is lasting a while so I guess it was a good value afterall.

Here in our place we use sesame oil everyday in our cooking. For stir frying our vegetables, for making side dishes, for making omelet, for fried rice, for soup and stews, for dipping sauce together with sesame seeds and a little of salt. We are using sesame oil mostly in all our dishes because of the aroma and good taste that it had.

I've never tried sesame oil, but since I love sesame seeds, I'm sure I'll like it. I usually toss some sesame seeds in my stir fries at the end, just before plating, and they always enhance the flavor. Now I'm looking forward to using sesame oil. My local grocery store is fairly small and doesn't carry a whole lot of variety, but I should be by a larger one later in the month, and will try to remember to look for it.

It seems that sesame oil is used a lot in Chinese cooking. Those who wish to use this cooking will find a variety of recipes using sesame oil as the base for frying their foods. It seems that it is a very useful way to fry vegetables and other protein foods that are used in Chinese cooking.

I've never tried sesame oil, but since I love sesame seeds, I'm sure I'll like it. I usually toss some sesame seeds in my stir fries at the end, just before plating, and they always enhance the flavor. Now I'm looking forward to using sesame oil. My local grocery store is fairly small and doesn't carry a whole lot of variety, but I should be by a larger one later in the month, and will try to remember to look for it.
You need to be careful which kind of sesame oil you are buying. There is dark sesame oil, sometimes labeled as toasted sesame seed oil (that's the one sold mostly here in supermarkets). You don't want (and shouldn't) fry things in the dark oil. You just add a few drops to the finished dish. Be sparing as it can easily be overwhelming. Its wonderful, nutty and intense (and expensive here in the UK!).

Light sesame oil has a high smoke point and is suitable for frying, That is the one used in Asia most often for frying. Its easy to tell the difference. The dark one looks dark! If you can, buy the dark one and use it sparingly as a seasoning. Its quite delicious and can transform a simple dish in seconds!

You need to be careful which kind of sesame oil you are buying. There is dark sesame oil, sometimes labeled as toasted sesame seed oil (that's the one sold mostly here in supermarkets). You don't want (and shouldn't) fry things in the dark oil. You just add a few drops to the finished dish. Be sparing as it can easily be overwhelming. Its wonderful, nutty and intense (and expensive here in the UK!).

Light sesame oil has a high smoke point and is suitable for frying, That is the one used in Asia most often for frying. Its easy to tell the difference. The dark one looks dark! If you can, buy the dark one and use it sparingly as a seasoning. Its quite delicious and can transform a simple dish in seconds!

Thanks, I'll look around and see what's available next time I get to the larger store. I can't believe how much larger their selection of oils is than at my local store which is also a full grocery store (and the same chain), since many people around here have more money than up at the other store. I would think the ones here would be more likely to buy the higher end oils and spices, but I guess they travel up there because there's more shelf space and can stock those items.

I steamed some broccoli in sesame oil and it was great.

I use sesame oil to add flavor and a nice aroma on my Asian inspired dips and sauces. When I cook with it I add it towards the end of cooking because they say it gets burnt easily and will lose its flavor too soon. You do not really use it to fry but to add a nice aroma and taste to your food.

I use sesame oil to add flavor and a nice aroma on my Asian inspired dips and sauces. When I cook with it I add it towards the end of cooking because they say it gets burnt easily and will lose its flavor too soon. You do not really use it to fry but to add a nice aroma and taste to your food.
You can fry with the light non-toasted sesame oil. Like you, I use the dark sesame oil as a seasoning. See my post above...

You can fry with the light non-toasted sesame oil. Like you, I use the dark sesame oil as a seasoning. See my post above...
Oh I did not know that there is a non-toasted kind of it but thanks I learned something new today. I wonder if that is always readily available in the grocery stores because base on my own experience I am only seeing and limited to the one I mentioned in my post. Yes, I think I read your post above it is good to know that I am using it the right way.

Back
Top Bottom