The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:17 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1425.JPG

First, let's play a game: use voice-to-text on your phone to say "Shakshuka" (pronounced Shack-SHOO-kah), and post what your phone thinks you're trying to say (mine thought I said "Shack sugar" and "Suction Cup").

Now then. Shakshuka is one of those wonderul recipes that doesn't require any adjustment at all to be ultra healthy, and also faithful to the proper recipe. I added ground chile de arbol for some heat, which is a bit like cayenne pepper with character. Look at how spectacular the powder is after grinding:

IMG_1422.JPG

Shakshuka nutrition.JPG

Ingredients

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium red onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, diced
1 teaspoon oregano, dried
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablesoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground chile de arbol (or cayenne pepper), or more to taste
5 medium tomatoes, on the vine, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
6 eggs

Instructions

1. Saute onion in a large pan on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add oregano, basil, salt, and pepper, and stir constantly for another minute.

2. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to coat. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.

3. Make an opening for one egg, and crack the raw egg into the opening. Create openings and add eggs one at a time in a ring around the outside of the pan.

IMG_1424.JPG

4. Cook for another 10 minutes with the cover on or until the eggs are done to your liking.

5. Serve with light naan bread or other bread.

Last edited:
Shakshuka - or Chakchouka... however you want to say or spell it, this its one of my favourite dishes. Its a wonderfully simple dish which makes the most of basic and cheap ingredients. I posted a few variants in the past: Chakshouka with Parmesan Polenta and Chakchouka (Shakshouka). It also has something in common with Huevos Rancheros.

There are so many ways you can vary the recipe - but I'd say, don't complicate it too much! You did it beautifully with those ground chillies @The Late Night Gourmet!

Back
Top Bottom