Shallots

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
7:07 AM
Shallots are not particularly what I would call aromatic, but more properly ... pungent. Often, they are too pungent for many people and are avoided. I had once found a good store bought bottled cooking sauce with shallots and it later disappeared.

I would have been pressed to ask what people use shallots for and I know they do as shallots are common at the grocers and I've noted a good list of meals at this forum using shallots. It would appear that anything you might use garlic or onions for, shallots can be used for.

Opinions. What meal might you say is exclusively something that shallots might be used for?

Shallots:

Firstly, I sub them for onion in many Mediterranean and Provençal Regional récipes as I adore French lavender colored Shallots ..

2) Shallot tart with fennel

3) Fennel soup with crême Fraîche and blood orange

4) Quiche with Gruyere ..

5) Stuffed Veal Roast with Oloroso Jerez Sweet brandy, Golden raisins, shallot, Evoo and spinach, pine nut
stuffing ..

6) Chicken with morel mushrooms and shallot, French butter and garlic and Jaune Wine ..

I sub them for onions as I do not care much for onions .. French Shallots are tiny and créate an amazing delicateness ..

The way I think they really shine is when they are used whole in dishes - you really can't achieve that with regular onions. A whole, plump succulent shallot (or baby onion) which melts in the mouth... mmmm. And banana shallots, halved lengthways and roasted cut side up looks very pretty. I will dig out some images....

Last edited:
Ok - here are a few photos of dishes I made using shallots:

Banana Shallots, braised in the oven:

20171110_134754.jpg
20171110_154651.jpg

And used in a quiche:

Braised shallot and caramelised garlic tart.jpg

Shallots used whole in Mushroom and Chestnut Bourguignon:

20170916_143829.jpg

And in a chickpea dish:

20170512_161156.jpg

We really don't use them. Personally, I don't see much of a difference between them and red onion, except in price.

I don't know where you get your shallots, but the ones I have used are very pungent, even when cooked.

I never saw banana shallots before. You seem to use shallots like one might use pearl onions.
I suppose I do. I sometimes use them finely chopped. Famously (don't know if its more a UK thing) they are served with oysters as a 'shallot vinegar' often with red wine vinegar. I think this is called Mignonette in classical French cooking.

473e589682fd0485c49ef007e2172cce.jpg

I also find shallots to be milder / sweeter than onions, red or otherwise. But, I also have never said, "I can't make this recipe because it calls for shallots, and all I have on hand are onions". I always have onions (usually red) and garlic on hand.

More attuned palates would probably detect the difference in the soup I just made (where, as it happens, I had more shallots than onions, so I used shallots). If I'm at my favorite fruit and vegetable market, and I think about it, I might buy a few shallots, since they're much cheaper than they are at the supermarket. Otherwise, I'll use onions.

I haven't used shallots for a couple of years, and they were in my veg box. I haven't seen any at our local Tesco or on their website for ages. I usually use ordinary onions.

I can only think of one dish I make that really requires shallots and not onions for its true flavour, but when we make it for a regular meal, we'll use onions eighted (quartered conventionally and then cut in half across the middle) to get to the same size as a shallot.

I've had mixed experiences with shallots. In the past they used to be much stronger smelling and more concentrated in flavour than onions, but like onions nowadays they are less strong and tend to be sweeter and milder.
But I like onions that make your eyes water when you cut and peel them. I know I have good strong onions that occurs.

Back
Top Bottom