Shallots

In the past they used to be much stronger smelling and more concentrated in flavour than onions, but like onions nowadays they are less strong and tend to be sweeter and milder.

Yes. I too, have noted this. I liked shallots specifically because of the fact that they were more pungent and were a good alternative to onions. Now, they are less of an alternative. And now, they have gone even milder and even tasteless with something they call a sunion.

The name given to the non-gmo onion that had been bred into existence (so a named variety of onion) to reduce tears when chopping onions and is sweeter and milder in taste than a conventional brown onion.

Sunions are a new breed of onions that reportedly don't make you cry when you chop them. They are also much sweeter and less pungent than regular onions

The name given to the non-gmo onion that had been bred into existence (so a named variety of onion) to reduce tears when chopping onions and is sweeter and milder in taste than a conventional brown onion.

I haven't tried them yet, so I can't comment except on news articles. Sunion was developed in the US by Bayer Corp. Science, the US subsidiary of Bayer AG. Most folks know Bayer mostly as aspirins. And yes, going from aspirins to Sunions is an unusual jump.

I haven't tried them yet, so I can't comment except on news articles. Sunion was developed in the US by Bayer Corp. Science, the US subsidiary of Bayer AG. Most folks know Bayer mostly as aspirins. And yes, going from aspirins to Sunions is an unusual jump.
:laugh: It does make you wonder...

And yes, going from aspirins to Sunions is an unusual jum
But when you think about it, how much of a jump is it when aspirin is derived from willow bark?

Ok, aspirin is actually acetylsalicylic acid and what comes from willow bark is salicylic acid which is the raw material for modern aspirin, but given that...

I actually have to be very careful that I don't take any herbal supplements that contain willow bark because in allergic to NSAIDs which include aspirin and ibuprofen.

This article explains how to make willow tree bark tea. A much milder and homoeopathic remedy for aches and pains (or you can buy it from the health food shop).

IMO, shallots (pronounced shall-lets, not shall lots :okay:) are like a cross between an onion and garlic, and are milder than either in relative perspectives. Not as sharp as an onion but with a similar mild sweetness, not as stinky as raw garlic but with a similar albeit pleasant aroma. The middle road of both.

Back
Top Bottom