Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
My breakfast
20170712_120434.jpg

My father used to say "it's too cold to snow".
I think he's right. 6am this morning and until 8am at least, it was -8C. There was no ice on the inside of the bedroom window this morning and not much in the way of a hoar frost. (I'm not counting my frozen feet right now, but I think they should do.)

My Grannie used to say something similar as well. I think there is a lack of moisture in the air for anything to fall out of the sky (until the weather front comes in). Apparently tonight will only be -3C. I'll believe it when I see it tomorrow morning and I still have water in the pipes.

I didn't HAVE to get up this morning so I didn't. We've had a series of late nights and my blankets were toasty warm.

Breakfast when I finally got up was "dippy eggs" - soft boiled eggs in an eggcup with grainy buttered toast "soldiers".

The craving for this childhood treat was due to reading an article about a Twitter blow up regarding the USA's lack of appreciation for the soft boiled egg.

A bit like the one regarding electric kettles.

I didn't HAVE to get up this morning so I didn't. We've had a series of late nights and my blankets were toasty warm.

Breakfast when I finally got up was "dippy eggs" - soft boiled eggs in an eggcup with grainy buttered toast "soldiers".

The craving for this childhood treat was due to reading an article about a Twitter blow up regarding the USA's lack of appreciation for the soft boiled egg.

A bit like the one regarding electric kettles.
Agreeing with you don't see many Americans doing soft boiled eggs.

...The craving for this childhood treat was due to reading an article about a Twitter blow up regarding the USA's lack of appreciation for the soft boiled egg...
The USA has a population over 300 million. I doubt they were able to query everyone! :D I grew up in a household with four other people. Three ate soft-boiled eggs regularly, but I have no idea if Dad liked them...he never had enough time before leaving for work to have more than toast and coffee. He could make a mean scrambled egg for me, though, when he and I had a morning to ourselves. Personally, I never could learn to like them. An aunt of mine even gave me her two egg coddlers. Of course I put them to use: they were pretty sitting on top of my stove.

Why is this, out of interest?
According to the article, Americans are more worried than the rest of us about salmonella from raw eggs

Another point was made, that the practice of washing the eggs, which is apparently employed by the commercial caged egg producers, removes the natural protective coating, allowing eggs to be contaminated as the shells are porous.

Why is this, out of interest?
Well legend says that one can eat raw eggs west of the Mississippi River but not east of it due to food poisoning. It seems every restaurant that serves eggs and sometimes steaks cooked to order have warnings about potential food poisoning if you eat undercooked food.

Well legend says that one can eat raw eggs west of the Mississippi River but not east of it due to food poisoning. It seems every restaurant that serves eggs and sometimes steaks cooked to order have warnings about potential food poisoning if you eat undercooked food.
Commercial flocks in the UK have to be vaccinated against salmonella; one reason why we don't have to keep our eggs in the fridge.

This mornings breakfast was pan fried tomato & egg with spinach of grainy toast.

Bucket of tea before breakfast and cup of coffee after.

SNSSO, in thinking about your eating woes, what is the cannabis situation like in Oz? Is it still completely verboten, or is it maybe on the way to medicinal use?

SNSSO, in thinking about your eating woes, what is the cannabis situation like in Oz? Is it still completely verboten, or is it maybe on the way to medicinal use?
still totally verboten... and given that we are on visas any violation of laws (except demerit points on licences until suspended, though I'm on my UK one, my hubby is on a NSW one) that results in a criminal record means we are both evicted from the country never to return...

As neither a Brit nor an Aussie, I find it mildly amusing that Australia is quick to evict legal offenders from a land that was basically created to be a prison. Would you be banished to England? After all, turnabout is fair play.

BTW, I am no way implying that you are a criminal. Just find it interesting that the "child" (Australia) has become the parent, so to speak. (And none of that in print looks anywhere near as clear as anything I'm actually thinking in my head...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom