Show us your pet

20180422_184404.jpg

How fantastic to have such creatures in your back yard. What is it?

It is a green iguana. They are an invasive species which the state is trying to eradicate. She died from the cold weather a few years ago. I couldn't find her to bring in the house that year. Iguanas go into a death like state when it gets really cold here. Many fall out of trees and get crushed when they hit the ground or drown if they fall in the water. Reptiles are ectothermic and don't generate heat, relying of the sun to heat themselves. If the temperature gets to low, the sun or warm heat source isn't enough for them to survive.

She died from the cold weather a few years ago. I couldn't find her to bring in the house that year. Iguanas go into a death like state when it gets really cold here. Many fall out of trees and get crushed when they hit the ground or drown if they fall in the water.

Oh! :ohmy: That is sad. Why do they need to be eradicated?

Oh! :ohmy: That is sad. Why do they need to be eradicated?
They are an invasive species. Like lion fish are invasive. We have many invasive species in Florida. Some only show up in winter.:facepalm:Green iguanas are herbivores. We also have a breeding populations of Nile monitors and tagus. These lizards are carnivores.

Last edited:
This is our new yard pet. We've had her for a couple of years. She's about 6 to 6-1/2 inches from nose to tip of tail. Craig buys mealworms to feed her. She can be quite pushy about getting them. Yesterday, she brought a boyfriend. He's almost twice her size

2018-04-25 17.32.57.jpg

She is cute

You should see her scurrying about, especially when she's hungry and knows we have worms for her. It's hilarious except for the fact that we've almost stepped on her a time or two because she ran right in front of us or in between our feet.

Curly tails are smart little buggers for reptiles. A friend of ours who lived next door to his parents used to leave his house open because he'd go back and forth during the day when he was home. They had brought back a bunch of curly tails from the Bahamas (they aren't native to Florida) and had been feeding them mealworms, which you keep in a container in the fridge so they'll last longer. The curly tails learned that's where the mealworms came from and would line up in front of the fridge waiting for mealtime.

Last edited:
They are an invasive species. Like lion fish are invasive. We have many invasive species in Florida. Some only show up in winter.:facepalm:Green iguanas are herbivores. We also have a breeding populations of Nile monitors and tagus. These lizards are carnivores.
And some sort of enormous constrictor type snake that have become a massive problem there. From what I have read the issue is the release of exotic pets.

And some sort of enormous constrictor type snake that have become a massive problem there. From what I have read the issue is the release of exotic pets.

A belated gift from hurricane Andrew. Burmese python, African Rock python and the resulting cross between the two. I see you have seen/heard the BS about released pets.:headshake:On average, females can lay between 80-100 eggs at a time. What you don't hear about is the venomous released in the destruction of major import facilities during Andrew. They don't give birth or lay eggs in the huge amounts of the pythons, but they are out there. I'm waiting until someone crosses path with a king cobra or black mamba.

Back
Top Bottom