Recipe Shrimp and Pasta

caseydog

Local time
8:57 AM
Strip and Pasta

Not a very exciting name, but that's what it is. :laugh: It is a recipe I came up with ten-ish years ago cooking for my family, limited by their cooking gear. They loved it! Now, I make it three or four times year to freeze in individual servings for my mom to heat and eat.

View attachment 109535

Ingredients

12OZ Penne Pasta (about six servings)
1 Pound Shrimp (heads off, shells on -- wild caught from as local as possible) *
1 28OZ Can Whole Plum Tomatoes (San Marzano if available)
1 Cup Diced Onion
4 Cloves Garlic, Minced (more or less to taste)
1 TBSP Dried Oregano
1 TBSP Tomato Paste
1 TBSP Ground Pepper (less if you are sensitive to peppery spice)
Salt to Taste (add near end of simmering)
Fresh Basil
Fresh Grated Parmesana Reggiano (at serving time)

Two TBSP Good Olive Oil (for sautéing onions and garlic)

Preparation

Thaw, peel and devein shrimp. Depending on the size of the shrimp, you may want to cut them in half so they are bite size when eaten with the pasta.
Dice onion.
Measure oregano, black pepper and tomato paste.
Have basil ready to chiffonade at end of cook.
Hand crush whole tomatoes in a bowl to make a chunky sauce. Make sure the bowl is not too small, or you will make a big mess.

Instructions

Heat oil in a large skillet or pan -- I used a cast iron braiser. Sauté diced onions until lightly browned and translucent. Add garlic for the last minute.

Add crushed tomatoes. Add tomato paste. Stir until tomato paste is incorporated.

Add seasonings, bring to a simmer, and lower heat. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.

Boil penne pasta to al dente -- you will finish the cooking in the sauce.

Drain pasta, keeping about two cups of pasta water. Add pasta to sauce and stir. Add pasta water as needed as the pasta absorbs the sauce.

Add shrimp. Let everything simmer while the shrimp cooks through. It will take about 15 minutes at a low simmer.

Cut your basil, and sprinkle on top of the shrimp and pasta. Add grated parmesan after plating.

CD

* Frozen shrimp are fine, and unless you live right near the docks, they are going to be frozen, even if they look fresh in the store. Those were frozen, and thawed for display. Shells on is important, as it protects the meat while frozen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom