Shrimp Tempura Roll

khearr00

Local time
3:46 AM
Hi all,
I have been looking for a cooking forum to help me get better at cooking amazing food! I have been researching the best way to make a batter for shrimp tempura rolls. I am wanting it to be more traditional Japanese style. Any recommendations?

Today I am going to try to start off putting shrimp in flour. Then dip in a cold mix of 50 percent flour to 50 percent corn starch and maybe add egg yolk and carbonated water or beer. Does this sound good? I will post my results after this.

I will fry the shrimp at 340-360 F

Thank yall

Last edited by a moderator:
It turned out alright, was happy with the beer batter. Put a little too much rice in the roll and the rice was a little too bland. Still not as good as I wanted. Also made ginger dressing and it was perfect. Found out how to make it taste like it doesn’t in the restaurants!

303BCA72-2B88-42BC-AD74-633D0BA5D3B6.jpeg
9D53D66B-374B-4704-8DBE-1DF2C3EF47F3.jpeg
54EC244D-AD51-49BC-831C-4C0A70FF5F75.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks very good. Well done! What lovely huge shrimp (prawns in UK). How did you make the ginger sauce?

We use a mixture of rice vinegar, Mirin, and sugar, maybe salt, that gets boiled, then tossed with the hot rice as soon as it's done.

Your rolls look great! Well done.

My favorite way is to lightly bread the shrimp (after skewering with wooden skewers to keep them straight) with flour, egg wash and panko. Other fillings of avocado slices, cucumber and green onion shreds, then make an inside out roll, with toasted sesame seed and flying fish roe on the outside.

Last edited:
That looks very good. Well done! What lovely huge shrimp (prawns in UK). How did you make the ginger sauce?
Thank you! The Dressing was made following this recipe (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15177/famous-japanese-restaurant-style-salad-dressing/) But this had too much ginger and ketchup for my taste and I did not have celery. So I put less ginger and ketchup then they called for.
This is exactly what i put in mine
  • 1/2 cup minced onion (red onion)
  • 1/2 cup peanut oil
  • 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root (Gourmet Garden Ginger Stir-in Paste)
  • 1 tablespoons ketchup
  • 4 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (Gourmet Garden Garlic Stir-in Paste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Blend it all in blinder tell smooth.

We use a mixture of rice vinegar, Marin, and sugar, maybe salt, that gets boiled, then tossed with the hot rice as soon as it's done.

Your rolls look great! Well done.

My favorite way is to lightly bread the shrimp (after skewering with wooden skewers to keep them straight) with flour, egg wash and panko. Other fillings of avocado slices, cucumber and green onion shreds, then make an inside out roll, with toasted sesame seed and flying fish roe on the outside.

Thank you, its only my third time making rolls and i have a lot to work on! I cant expect to make it perfect until i get plenty of practice. Yes the breading was a little to thick i will shoot for a different breading next time(like you are suggesting). I will also probably skew the shrimp! Thank you i didn't think of that! I did stretch the shrimp and that was easier then i thought but they still needed to be a bit longer. I appreciate the knowledge and will follow your advice next time i make some! My rolls were way to big and i need to put alot less rice on them next time. It was just a little hard for me to put the rice on without messing it up.

Dampen your hands a little when you are trying to spread out the rice. It won't stick to your hands so badly. And try to just use your fingertips up to first joints of fingers as much as possible. Keep damp paper towels handy too to wipe off the rice that does stick to your hands and also to clean your knife off between cuts when you are cutting your rolls so your cuts are as clean as possible.

And it's Mirin, not marin. I was on my tablet this morning and didn't realize it had autocorrected.

This is recipe we use to season rice.

4 cups uncooked rice, washed until water runs clear, drained in a mesh colander for 30 minutes at least, cooked via whatever method you prefer. Then, in a small saucepan, mix together

1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup mirin
1/2 cup sugar

Heat over high until sugar dissolves and you see tiny bubbles forming around the edges. Pour about 1/4 cup into hot rice and toss (we use a wooden rice paddle) until liquid is absorbed, continue adding 1/4 cup at a time and tossing until rice is glistening/pearly looking and has a sweet/tart taste. You probably won't need all the liquid. Save it to use for dampening your hands to spread out the rice. Cover with a damp cloth and let cool.

I generally cut this down to 2 cups and make half the liquid because 4 cups of uncooked rice makes A LOT of rice. So, unless you are making sushi for a crowd, you don't need that much. I usually get 6 or 7 rolls out of the 2 cups with some leftover, probably enough for another 1 or 2 rolls. Usually, we make a couple of shrimp tempura rolls, a couple of vege rolls, and 2 or 3 spicy tuna rolls for my hubs. I use a product called kimchi base instead of wasabi for the tuna rolls. Spicy, whew!

Last edited:
Okay thank you so much! I will follow this recipe and your techniques on my next go round! Do you have any pictures of your sushi you have made in the past I would like to see it? If not that's no big deal. I Can see how all of this will help me out a ton! I appreciate it!

I have a question, If I want to prep my rice for the future what is the best way to store it and how long could i store it? I would like to make it the day before because i work a 8-5 job with kids and I try to prep my food ahead of time so I can make it faster. Then i would just have to cook the meat and cut the veggies and make the roll.

Also what is the best temp for rice when making sushi?
Luke warm rice?
Room temp rice?
Cold rice?
I figure cold for any raw fish but most of the stuff i make will be cooked/fried.

Last edited:
I always let it cool to room temp regardless. Never tried to make it the day before so can't answer that question.

37240-albums1042-picture6586.jpg

37240-albums1042-picture6585.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom