Recipe Sicilian Watermelon Pudding (Gelo di Melone)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:49 AM
This is a classic Sicilian dessert from Palermo. This recipe is adapted from http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/sicilian-watermelon-pudding-gelo-di-melone

IMGP0481.jpg

Photographed yesterday in natural light
Ingredients
750 g watermelon, chopped
50 g caster sugar
50 g cornflour
chopped pistachios, candied lemon peel* to garnish (optional)

Method
  • Blend watermelon until smooth. I used a stick blender. Strain through a sieve.
  • In a saucepan, mix the sugar and cornflour, then add enough watermelon pulp to dissolve the cornflour (do not heat the pan).
  • Add remaining watermelon pulp to pan and bring to the boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
  • Continue to whisk for a further 6 minutes or until thick, then remove from heat.
  • Allow to cool slightly and pour into mould(s) this mixture makes 4 small puddings or one large
  • Chill for in the fridge until set. Serve topped pistachios and candied lemon peel. The original recipe suggests topping with cream and/or chopped chocolate as well.
*I made the candied lemon peel by leaving finely shredded lemon peel in caster sugar overnight.
IMGP0476.jpg

I have never heard of such a thing before but I bet you it would be good on a hot summer day. What a great summer treat! It would be so refreshing! I have never had anything watermelon flavored that I didn't like so I have no doubt this would be awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom