Sizzler Plates

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
5:42 PM
Do you have any? Do you use them? How do you use them and for what foods?

I've just recently taken delivery of one but up to now only used it for presentation of fillet steak.

sizzling plate s.jpg

I posted a photo of mine in another thread - and received some advice on how to repair the surface damage I caused by seasoning it. I haven't used mine either yet. I'm thinking it could be good for prawns - but what else?

fullsizeoutput_2fc9.jpeg

We have a few teardrop shaped ones with handles at the pointy end that are to be used for fajitas, or small steaks.

You heat them in the oven at 450 to 500 °F, then place your mostly finished food on them just before serving.

For the steaks, you place the par-grilled meat on the hot plate, then a chunk of butter and a splash of Maggi sauce or Worcestershire so it sizzles as it finishes cooking.

Similarly with fajitas, you separately grill your chicken, shrimp, or beef strips, and briefly saute bell pepper and onion slices. Once ready, you put the meat down on the hot plate, then the veggies, then a splash of Mexican style hot sauce.

Last edited:
We recently at a Korean BBQ place and they served the chicken (thigh fillets) on the sizzle plates.

My guess from attempting to recreate it at home is that it's marinated, cooked over charcoal, then put onto the sizzle plate and more marinade/sauce poured over before serving.

The dish we had was (non traditionally) topped with a couple of handfuls of (room temp) grated cheddar cheese.

I'll be buying a sizzle plate myself soon, but what I did at home was to BBQ the chicken then place it into a hot cast iron pan sitting on a bread board.

I'll be buying a sizzle plate myself soon, but what I did at home was to BBQ the chicken then place it into a hot cast iron pan sitting on a bread board.

I like the ones that are in the shape of a bull (or cow). I couldn't find one here like that.

It may be prudent to get an implement for lifting it as they get bloody hot!

images

It may be prudent to get an implement for lifting it as they get bloody hot!

images

Is that handle insulated? If not, you better be quick before it becomes "bloody hot". Or when you burn your hand, you can sue the mfg for not putting a warning label indicating to use a pot holder!:eek:

The handle looks like it's detachable. You only clamp it on when needed.

It looks like the aluminum pot lifter that I have for backpacking/camping.

7760.jpg

Is that handle insulated? If not, you better be quick before it becomes "bloody hot". Or when you burn your hand, you can sue the mfg for not putting a warning label indicating to use a pot holder!:eek:

Mine just hooks on when you want to move the plate and then off again when the plate is moved - so no time to get hot. At least I assume so. I've not used it yet!

Back
Top Bottom