Slow Cooker Turkey Meatloaf ... Need Help

Matilda

Local time
12:21 AM
Hi all. I found 3 lbs. of ground turkey in the freezer. I'd like to try and make a turkey meatloaf in my Slow Cooker. Need some help.
1) From searching the Internet, people use breadcrumbs/panko, stuffing mix, and oatmeal as filler. Any benefit of one over the others?
2) I'd like to add another ground meat to the turkey. Either ground pork or ground Italian sausage. Any suggestions?
3) I'm familiar with regular ground beef meatloafs. Not sure if I can substitute ground turkey for ground beef in the recipes.

Yes you can. I have.

Just do it like you usually do, only difference is that you're replacing one ground meat with the other one. Good luck!! :wink:

Last edited:
Turkey isn't the most flavoursome of meats so perhaps adding Italian sausage would be a good way to go. As for fillers, I usually rely on breadcrumbs.

It's also a bit more "runnier" than ground beef, but it'll work. Add a bit more bread crumbs or flour to the mixture to tighten it up.. :wink:

I'd add Italian sausage instead of pork...more spicy flavor.

Also, from my experience panko more tasty than bread crumbs....have used it on fish filets.

Meatloaf on hold for a week. With the ground turkey I had now 85%, hubby wanted Turkey Pumpkin Chili. So thats cooking right now. And...I got lucky. A neighborhood store is selling 93% ground turkey for $5.00 for 3 lbs. Gotta get that! At least 9 lbs. I even have room in the freezer already waiting.

Interesting. What kind of pumpkin do you use for the chili? Or is it cooked in a pumpkin?

Hi all. Sorry about the delay in getting back to this. I went with this recipe...

https://crockpotladies.com/recipe/crockpot-manly-meatloaf/

Changed a lot of it. 4 lbs of ground turkey plus 1 lb. of ground Italian sausage. Sauteed onions, green peppers and mushrooms added. Less oregano, skipped the rosemary. Added ancho chili powder for a kick. Cooked for 8 hrs in my 8 Qt. crockpot. Lots of grease! Used a baster every 2 hrs. to remove grease. Got 3 cups of grease out of it.
Got to say this tasted great. In my Keeper file.

Hi all. Sorry about the delay in getting back to this. I went with this recipe...

https://crockpotladies.com/recipe/crockpot-manly-meatloaf/

Changed a lot of it. 4 lbs of ground turkey plus 1 lb. of ground Italian sausage. Sauteed onions, green peppers and mushrooms added. Less oregano, skipped the rosemary. Added ancho chili powder for a kick. Cooked for 8 hrs in my 8 Qt. crockpot. Lots of grease! Used a baster every 2 hrs. to remove grease. Got 3 cups of grease out of it.
Got to say this tasted great. In my Keeper file.

That's odd that there was so much grease. Turkey is supposed to be a 'healthy option' because its so lean! Or maybe it was from the sausage? I recently discovered ancho (hard to find in the UK) and I love it!

After I mixed everything, I weighed it. It came in at just over 9 lbs. The veggies, eggs, water all added up. I'm thinking it might have been part grease, part condensation from the steam. As for the ancho, me too. I've been using it in everything from fried eggs to pasta salads. I had to mail order mine. Couldn't find it locally.

Back
Top Bottom