Slow Cooker Use and Recipe Discussion

I live on my own, and with the best will in the world I often have salad ingredients or vegetables that are getting old and past their best
In that case I turn them into a veg stew - even lettuce & cucumber, if they're chopped finely they just disappear into the background.
It will usually include canned chopped tomatoes and some kind of beans, chick peas, butter beans or whatever; some pasta; and anything else available
A few weeks ago I tried some cheap baked beans but didn't like them, so I'm using them up in the veg stew

I used to use a large pan on the top of the stove, or a casserole dish in the oven, but now I use my slow cooker
Considering it just uses up odds & ends, the stew turns out quite well

I have posted somewhere before that I've never had much success with soaking & cooking dried beans, lentils etc. Perhaps I'll try them in this sort of stew in a slow cooker, I might have more success

Last edited:
I have posted somewhere before that I've never had much success with soaking & cooking dried beans, lentils etc. Perhaps I'll try them in this sort of stew in a slow cooker, I might have more success

Ideal for beans - soak overnight (you don't have to but it will shorten cooking time), drain and add to slow cooker. Cover in boiling water to a few inches above the beans. Add spices and herbs of choice. Lid on, low cook for about 6 hours. Check after 5 hrs to see if they are done.

My "slow cookers" are outside, use wood splits and/or charcoal and produce some of the best BBQ I've tasted, even if I do say so myself.:wink: My first experience with a crock pot, back in the '70's when they first came out, completely
turned me off to them. Someone made a beef in beer for me. That is when I discovered that meat (beef and pork) swam in their own fat during cooking, disgusting!:headshake:

To be honest, I didn't start this thread. I replied to a poster who was asking for ideas for a slow cooker. I am not here to sell anyone
a slow cooker, and I do use other methods of cooking. Sorry, but the comments have all been negative, and again it's not my thread. It is off-putting. I don't see anything positive coming from this thread.

Sorry, but the comments have all been negative, and again it's not my thread. It is off-putting. I don't see anything positive coming from this thread.

Hey @Karen W - I don't have a slow cooker. I've been thinking about getting one for a while, and I've seen some helpful and positive comments in this thread.
Don't worry about 'ownership' of a thread. Threads have their own life - and they change, evolve or deteriorate - as subsequent posts are added.

Start a new thread on something that you're enthusiastic about. We'd all be interested to read it.

Again, my reply originally was meant for the member that WAS interested in and looking for slow cooker recipes. Personally, I probably wouldn't start a thread on the topic because I know how closed minded and negative comments can be regarding slow cookers. I was trying to move away from the idea that everything has to be cooked to death for 24 hours, drowning in liquid, or covered with a can of cream of soup.

Last edited:
The top post and a few replies were moved because the member who posted the original thread had not visited the forum since he posted the thread and so is not going to read the replies. Also it was an old thread so not likely to be noticed.

A has been said, comments can go either way whatever you choose to post about. That is what a cooking forum is all about. You should have seen some of the replies recieved when I started a thread about the benefits of microwave cooking! I nearly ran away and hid!

I thought your comments about cooking fish and pizza were fascinating and it made me think about using my slow-cooker in an entirely different way.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add, if the dish turns out less than stellar, don't blame the Appliance. Learn how to use it, and follow the directions from the manufacturer. My pot has high, low, and keep warm settings. I only use the low setting, as food is cooked in about 3 hours. It gets very hot. That's okay with me, because I would rather the food cook more quickly, than having it sit out for hours and hours (for food safety reasons). Like anything else, keep an eye on it, and don't expect the appliance to do all the work, i.e. dump and run.

Last edited:
Everybody - following comments from @Karen W (above) I've moved all your posts over to a new thread title (with my name at the top!) so that its more about discussing crock pots in general (whether you love or hate them) as well as recipe ideas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom