Slow Roast Pork

Ahhh - I've just seen where my post went to! Sorry - am a noob!

Anyway - my trial went well. I roasted the pork belly for 2 1/2 hours first at 190/200 for 1/2 an hour then down at 150 for the rest.
Then left it uncovered overnight until I portioned it into bite-sized cubes the next day and deep-fried them at 190 in the fryer for 3 mins.
An extra sprinkle of salt and a quick roll in some Thai fried garlic bits and served with apple & cider dip.
Thinking a few fried sage leaves for extra garnish too.
Samples were offered to some of the customers and I think we have a hit! :)

20180221_204900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh - I've just seen where my post went to! Sorry - am a noob!
No worries! You ought to have got an alert to explain that it was moved.

Anyway - my trial went well. I roasted the pork belly for 2 1/2 hours first at 190/200 for 1/2 an hour then down at 150 for the rest.
Then left it uncovered overnight until I portioned it into bite-sized cubes the next day and deep-fried them at 190 in the fryer for 3 mins.
An extra sprinkle of salt and a quick roll in some Thai fried garlic bits and served with apple & cider dip.
Thinking a few fried sage leaves for extra garnish too.
Samples were offered to some of the customers and I think we have a hit! :)

That looks very good indeed. :hungry: So you left the skin on so that when it was deep fried it turned to crackling? At least - that looks like crackling...

Thai fried garlic bits
How do you make Thai fried garlic bits?

By the way - when uploading photos click on 'full image' otherwise they appear as tiny! I corrected it for you. See here:

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 18.15.21.png

Last edited:
No worries! You ought to have got an alert to explain that it was moved.

That looks very good indeed. :hungry: So you left the skin on so that when it was deep fried it turned to crackling? At least - that looks like crackling...

How do you make Thai fried garlic bits?

By the way - when uploading photos click on 'full image' otherwise they appear as tiny! I corrected it for you. See here:

View attachment 14064

Thanks so much for doing all that!

Nice welcome.

Yes, the skin was pretty rock-hard crackling before it hit the deep-fry and it just puffed up a little more.

The meat had been roasted and braised with dry cider at regular intervals so was nicely rendered down - just a little bit of fat layer left after drying that melted beautifully in the fryer :)

The Thai fried garlic isn't Thai flavoured, it's just chopped dried deep-fried garlic that I buy at the Chinese supermarket in a tub, but BOY does it work!

The Thai fried garlic isn't Thai flavoured, it's just chopped dried deep-fried garlic that I buy at the Chinese supermarket in a tub, but BOY does it work!

I'm all for shortcuts! :) I don't have a Chinese supermarket in Maidstone. There are good Indian and Turkish ones though - great for buying spices.

Back
Top Bottom