Small rib-eye

Roger Burton

Local time
1:00 AM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Hi chaps, I bought a (very expensive) piece of ribeye thinking that I might put it into the sous vide, re-thinking this plan and maybe roasting it might be better, it’s about 600gm and 60mm thick ... I prefer rare and my wife medium though we can ”discuss this” ... we don’t eat beef very often but thought we’d splash out, I’d like to serve it with roast potatoes and veg and gravy ie a Sunday roast ... comments very welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember watching a Heston video on ribeye cooking but I cannot remember where I saw it. But there will be experts here.

Maybe cut in two, so that you can cook yours and your wife's to order. Caseydog is the man to advise on steak cooking sous vide.

Last edited:
DW likes 'no pink' and I'm more a 'warm red' type
so not only do I cut thick cuts in half, I then slice her half to 1/2 thickness.

super hot sear followed by oven finish at 235'F/115'C

I have cooked many ribeye steaks sous vide, but not a rib roast. You can do two steaks at different doneness levels. You set up the circulates for the higher temp, cook the more done steak first, then lower the temp for the second steak (lower thermostat and dump a few ice cubes in the water), and leave the first steak in to stay warm while the second steak cooks. The first steak won't continue to cook. I've never done it, but that's basically how Guga at Sous Vide Everything described it.

I like medium rare, but ribeye does have enough fat to handle medium.

CD

Back
Top Bottom