Recipe Smoke Cured Pork Sausage and Gruyere Cheese Strata

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
3:57 AM
George has a fishing camp and a hunting camp. I enjoy going to the fishing camp but the hunting camp is strictly a guy's place i.e. too rustic for my taste.

The guys get up early and want a quick breakfast. George would bring frozen breakfast sandwiches. Cardboard bread, plastic cheese, mystery meat and pretend eggs. :yuck: Calories, fat, carbs - no real food.

I started making this Strata. Baked in muffin tins and frozen. The guys can pop them in the microwave and have an on-the-go breakfast made with real food.

I make multiple batches and freeze.

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F.

12 large eggs - whisked
Crusty Sourdough bread cut into 1" cubes - 4 cups
2 TBSP. EVOO
1 large onion chopped
1 lb. smoke cured pork sausage - 1/4" slices quartered.
2 cloves garlic sliced
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups 1/2 & 1/2
1 TBSP. red pepper flakes
2 cups Gruyere cheese shredded
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Regianno
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Tomatillo Salsa

In a large sauté pan heat EVOO over medium-high heat.
Add onions and cook until soft - 2 to 3 minutes
Lower heat to medium
Add sausage - cook 2 minutes
Add garlic and cook until just fragrant
Remove from heat and set aside.

In a large bowl whisk 12 large eggs, milk, 1/2 & 1/2, chili flakes, cheese.
Add bread and sausage mix.
Toss well to coat.
Press firmly to get bread fully soaked with egg/milk mixture.
Salt and pepper

Pour into a casserole dish or muffin tins greased or sprayed with Pam.

If using a casserole bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncovered. A knife inserted in the middle should come out clean.

If using muffin tins monitor closely. Start checking after 20 minutes. Timing will depend on the size and color of the tins.

Sprinkle with grated Parmesan.

Can be prepped the day before, refrigerated over night and baked the next day. Great when you have overnight guest.

I send a batch or two for George's buds.

With George's dietary restrictions I have had to modify the recipe for him. I make a separate batch with no bread, skim milk instead of whole milk and 1/2 & 1/2. 1/2 the amount of Gruyere and Parmesan. 2 cups spinach - chiffonade, 1 cup Cremini mushrooms diced, 4 spring onions - whites and greens - sliced.

OK - I have to post the Tomatillo Salsa recipe and link here.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/tomatilla-salsa.11025/

Last edited:
This goes to show how little I know. I had never come across the term Strata. It is perhaps of Italian origin? Its not something we commonly make in the UK, though why not? It seems like a great way to use up left over bread apart from anything else. :okay: I keep wanting to see photos of your recipes @ElizabethB! They always sound delicious...

@morning glory

The original recipe was from a cooking show. Mario Batali was the Chef. I don't know if it Italian from Italy or Italian American. Mario used Spanish Chorizo and Manchego cheese. I can get both from a specialty market at a premium price. I modified the recipe using ingredients more readily available - smoke cured pork sausage and Gruyere. His recipe called for twice the amount of sourdough bread - 8 cups. That was way too much bread for me - more bread than anything else.

It is very tasty. The prep work can take a little time but it freezes well.

Hunting season starts next month. I will be making both versions for George to take to his camp. I will take photos then.

George has a fishing camp and a hunting camp. I enjoy going to the fishing camp but the hunting camp is strictly a guy's place i.e. too rustic for my taste.

The guys get up early and want a quick breakfast. George would bring frozen breakfast sandwiches. Cardboard bread, plastic cheese, mystery meat and pretend eggs. :yuck: Calories, fat, carbs - no real food.

I started making this Strata. Baked in muffin tins and frozen. The guys can pop them in the microwave and have an on-the-go breakfast made with real food.

I make multiple batches and freeze.

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F.

12 large eggs - whisked
Crusty Sourdough bread cut into 1" cubes - 4 cups
2 TBSP. EVOO
1 large onion chopped
1 lb. smoke cured pork sausage - 1/4" slices quartered.
2 cloves garlic sliced
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups 1/2 & 1/2
1 TBSP. red pepper flakes
2 cups Gruyere cheese shredded
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Regianno
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Tomatillo Salsa

In a large sauté pan heat EVOO over medium-high heat.
Add onions and cook until soft - 2 to 3 minutes
Lower heat to medium
Add sausage - cook 2 minutes
Add garlic and cook until just fragrant
Remove from heat and set aside.

In a large bowl whisk 12 large eggs, milk, 1/2 & 1/2, chili flakes, cheese.
Add bread and sausage mix.
Toss well to coat.
Press firmly to get bread fully soaked with egg/milk mixture.
Salt and pepper

Pour into a casserole dish or muffin tins greased or sprayed with Pam.

If using a casserole bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncovered. A knife inserted in the middle should come out clean.

If using muffin tins monitor closely. Start checking after 20 minutes. Timing will depend on the size and color of the tins.

Sprinkle with grated Parmesan.

Can be prepped the day before, refrigerated over night and baked the next day. Great when you have overnight guest.

I send a batch or two for George's buds.

With George's dietary restrictions I have had to modify the recipe for him. I make a separate batch with no bread, skim milk instead of whole milk and 1/2 & 1/2. 1/2 the amount of Gruyere and Parmesan. 2 cups spinach - chiffonade, 1 cup Cremini mushrooms diced, 4 spring onions - whites and greens - sliced.

OK - I have to post the Tomatillo Salsa recipe and link here.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/tomatilla-salsa.11025/
George is a very luck man.

Back
Top Bottom