Snails anyone?

The last time I saw escargot was mid 80s. The snails came in a tin (one dozen I think) and the shells were sold separately in a packet. The shells could be re-used after washing.

The last time I saw escargot was mid 80s. The snails came in a tin (one dozen I think) and the shells were sold separately in a packet. The shells could be re-used after washing.
We just get the canned ones..product of Indonesia..they have become very small now..I put 2 or 3 in each well..

The place where Craig gets caviar and truffles sells frozen, already butter filled escargot from France. You just have to pop into oven, they come in a disposable foil pan. They are really good, tender flavorful. Can't believe I have never posted them in a dinner thread before, doesn't seem like it's been that long since we had them.

I tried snails in Paris, I had too didn't I? They were very garlicky, and ok.texture didn't bother me.

Russ

I had them while on a cruise.

Same reasoning. They were there so I had to try them.

Served in a special dish, each well filled with a tiny snail & loads of garlic butter with a tiny amount of parsley chiffonade then Parmesan grated over before grilling under a salamander. The butter was so fab I ate 2 dinner rolls.

Still haven’t a clue what the actual snails taste like. The texture was similar to canned smoked oysters.

I have seen tinned snails for sale in the David Jones Food Hall. $20 for a tiny tin.

Last edited:
I had been trying to get a photo of the front of my husband's SUV. We're in the middle of farmland where we live, mostly pasture where any crop of either for ploughing back in or for sheep (primarily) to eat in winter. The result this year at least had been a plague of locusts. And certain sections of road are very bad for them where there are no trees on either side of the road before the pasture. It can be that bad that the insect strike rate on the windscreen triggers the automatic windscreen wipers! Anyhow it turns out that my husband's vehicle has exactly the wrong size holes on the radiator grill which is exceptionally large itself if you just do happen to be a locust. My girls (chooks for any newbies reading this) have worked out that there is a very good food supply of they rush to the car before it had stopped (mostly we get to stop but it's a close call some days !). My 4x4 doesn't collect anywhere near the numbers my husband's SUV does. There will barely be a gap free without a grilled or semi grilled and occasionally raw locust in it.

Anyhow, I had been trying to get a photo of it for you to post up with the title of "grilled locust anyone ?" to start a thread similar to this ,but I've been beaten to it . Yesterday and the day before hubby came home in rain, so no locust, the day before was too cold and today we are in my vehicle (pickings were very slim ).

:D

Sounds like the lovebugs in central Florida during mating season, except their remains will strip the paint right off your car.

Back
Top Bottom