Soup & Stew Season is here!

Mediterranean ..

Italy: Pasta e Fagioli ( Forletto or Chickpeas & Tiny Shell Pasta or Ditillini ) ..

Italy: Home made Minnestrone ..

France: Shellfish & Fish Bouillbaisse ..

Spain: Predominately: lentils, paellas, fideaù (noodle paella), couscous with chickpeas and fresh fish with vegetables of the season and vegetable soups of different types; and soups: fennel, a leek ( puerro ) or a courgette or a parsnip ..

Off top of head ..

Last edited:
In South Louisiana cooler weather is "Gumbo Weather". My favorite is chicken and sausage gumbo.

After Thanks Giving I use the turkey carcass with turkey meat to make a turkey celery soup.

I need to make another batch of beefy vegetable soup. There are only 2 packs in the freezer. A very rich and hearty soup.

Oysters are at their best in the cooler weather. I love a white oyster chowder. Unfortunately that is off the table for the time being. George's diet does not allow all of the rich cream and butter. :cry:

I love bean soups. Any kind. I use smoked ham hocks in my bean soups.

Split pea and carrot is another favorite with a ham bone and ham meat.

Soup is another one of those dishes that I make in large quantities to freeze.

In South Louisiana cooler weather is "Gumbo Weather". My favorite is chicken and sausage gumbo.

After Thanks Giving I use the turkey carcass with turkey meat to make a turkey celery soup.

I need to make another batch of beefy vegetable soup. There are only 2 packs in the freezer. A very rich and hearty soup.

Oysters are at their best in the cooler weather. I love a white oyster chowder. Unfortunately that is off the table for the time being. George's diet does not allow all of the rich cream and butter. :cry:

I love bean soups. Any kind. I use smoked ham hocks in my bean soups.

Split pea and carrot is another favorite with a ham bone and ham meat.

Soup is another one of those dishes that I make in large quantities to freeze.

All these soups sound wonderful with the exception of the oyster chowder. I absolutely adore oysters but in their raw state...

@morning glory

Think clam chowder with oysters instead of clams.

I do not add the oysters until just before service. They are allowed to cook until the gills curl. Time to serve. The oysters are plump, juicy and just barely coked.

I have learned to cook fish and seafood. Less is best.

The biggest mistake most home cooks make with fish and seafood is over cooking.

When I make oyster chowder I use the oyster liquor in the broth. I usually have more chowder base than I need for 2 servings. Divide the base. 2 - 3 cups in a separate pan. Bring to a simmer then add 3 to 4 raw oysters per person. Cook until the gills begin to curl. The oysters are still mostly raw - plump and juicy.

Last edited:
The biggest mistake most home cooks make with fish and seafood is over cooking.
So true!

I do not add the oysters until just before service. They are allowed to cook until the gills curl. Time to serve. The oysters are plump, juicy and just barely cooked.

I'm in the slow process of being converted... :)

@ElizabethB

Like @morning glory, I only eat oysters on the half Shell Raw.

I am sure your dish is wonderful however, I grew up on the sea, and our fave weekend trips are to eat fresh oysters and fresh clams on our family boat !!

I have had Manhattan Clam Chowder with fresh clams at the Hotel where I stayed during a travel convention in Manhattan in 2016 and that was lovely and they were not minced .. All fresh ingredients ..

I see that you do not overcook those amazingly gorgeous morsels from the sea ..

Back
Top Bottom