Recipe Spaghetti with Girolle Mushrooms, Bottarga & Dill

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:23 PM
This is such a simple dish but packed with flavour. Fresh dill lends a delicate perfumed note to the earthy taste of mushrooms and the tangy, briny bottarga. Freshly grated bottarga would work even better, but alas I have no such luxury here.

fullsizeoutput_3978.jpeg

Ingredients (per person)
  • 75g spaghetti
  • 80g Girolle (Chanterelle) mushrooms (or use mushrooms of your choice)
  • 20g butter
  • 1 tbsp truffle oil
  • 1 small clove of garlic, grated or finely chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 tsp dried ground bottarga
  • Fresh dill
  • Olive oil to drizzle
Method
  1. Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water.
  2. Clean the girolles carefully with a brush.
  3. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the garlic, cooking gently for a minute
  4. Add the mushrooms leaving them whole if possible and sautée gently for a few minutes, carefully turning, once.
  5. Cover the pan with a close fitting lid and allow to cook gently over a very low heat for ten minutes
  6. Remove the mushrooms and keep warm, retaining their cooking liquid in the pan. Add the truffle oil and salt (to taste) to the pan liquid
  7. Add drained spaghetti to the pan with a little of its cooking water. Add chopped dill and half the bottarga. Turn the spaghetti to coat it evenly.
  8. To serve, arrange the spaghetti on a plate, piling the mushrooms on top. Sprinkle with dill and the remaining bottarga. Drizzle with olive oil.

fullsizeoutput_3973.jpeg

Last edited:
That's exquisite. I love the idea of dill with mushrooms. I have no idea what bottarga is, but I'm sure it makes the dish even tastier.

I've wanted to try bottarga, but never have. They have some on amazon in small amounts that's reasonable. Maybe I'll order some soon.

Last edited:
I've swapped in anchovies when I found something that needed bottarga, but I know it's not the same thing.

Needless to say, I've just placed my Amazon.com order for some. :laugh: I actually headed to Westborn Market, which seems to have just about everything...except for bottarga. I could spend the next week checking all the specialty markets for it, but this seems easier.

Back
Top Bottom