Spam celebrates its 80th birthday

I like taking humble ingredients and making something special from them. It occurred to me a while ago that Spam was not unlike the consistency of gyro meat. I've seen many efforts to reproduce the consistency of gyro meat at home, most of which end up being like meatloaf. But, with the right seasoning, Spam can be transformed. Yes, of course I know it's not as good as the real thing, but I really like it. Here the recipe for Spam Gyro Meat.

IMG_0229.JPG

@Yorky

:laugh::hyper::woot:

Loved the clip.

As a child I remember eating Spam, Vienna Sausage and Potted Meat. Now talk about looking like cat food - Potted Meat.

@The Late Night Gourmet and @morning glory

An interesting cooking challenge would be to put our culinary talents and imagination to work transforming a :yuck: ingredient as a base for a delectable dish.

Any takers?

@The Late Night Gourmet and @morning glory

An interesting cooking challenge would be to put our culinary talents and imagination to work transforming a :yuck: ingredient as a base for a delectable dish.

Any takers?

I'm up for any challenges going - but please forgive me if I seem a bit negative. We have three challenges going at the moment (Cookalong, Recipe Challenge and Spice Challenge) and but a handful of entries for each. So, much as I would love to add a new challenge...

However, Spam is on my shopping list and you may expect to see something spicy emerge from Maidstone.

@morning glory

I did not mean a "right now" challenge. Perhaps consider it when the current challenges wind down.

I like cooking shows. One of my favorites is Chopped hosted by Ted Allen with a rotating panel of celebrity chef judges. Four contestants, three rounds - appetizers, entre and desert. At the beginning of each round the contestants are presented with a basket of mystery ingredients - usually 4 ingredients per round. Each ingredient must be used in some way. They also have access to a well stocked panty and frig. One contestant is Chopped at the end of each round. Each round is timed 20 to 30 minutes.

The ingredients are frequently bizarre and sometimes disgusting. Imagine having to use durian fruit in a desert round. Cotton candy in an appetizer round. Gummy candies in an entre round.

I think I could come up with recipes for even the most bizarre ingredients but NEVER in the limited amount of time given.

:oops: If you have not figured it out yet I tend to ramble.

Chopped is what made me think of a challenge using Spam.

This would be a fun idea. But, if you think about it, such an ingredient could always be selected anyway by the latest cooking challenge winner. You would probably have people angry at the winner for picking, say, durian, but it could be done in the context of existing challenges. And, there's nothing to stop people from trying something anyway on their own. I, too, love the show Chopped. It's inspired me to elevate humble ingredients. For example, for whatever reason, my family likes things like pizza rolls. I've found a way to make them something really tasty (first, pan fry in butter with onion and mushroom, then top with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese).

Back
Top Bottom