Spanakopita and....?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:18 AM
I'm planning on cooking spanakopita tomorrow - two versions. One for the vegetarian contingent (the normal recipe) and one for the vegan (using 'feta' made with tofu). I usually serve it with a tomato salad on the side, but I know that vegan son is still going to be ravenously hungry if all he gets is spanakopita and tomato salad.

Can anyone suggest some vegan vegetable dishes to accompany the spanakopita?

Fattoush? Tabouli? Something with fresh mint to balance the richness of the spanakopita.

These are great ideas!

A typical accompaniment at Greek restaurants in the States is a Greek salad, consisting of lettuce, black olives, red onion, pickled beets, and feta cheese. There's a vinaigrette that also goes on this. My wife hates beets and raw onions, so she has them load up on the olives and cheese. As long as you have a tofeta cheese for the vegan spinach pie, it will link it to the salad. The lettuce ensures that it's filling.

Thank you for the ideas - I served it with a Greek salad, Mediterranean Potato salad and Chickpea salad (not shown).

fullsizeoutput_3616.jpeg

I don't think the dressing is necessary. You want the crunchiness of the phyllo and the creaminess of the spinach cheese filling. We usually have ground lamb kabobs or meatballs with it. We use tzatziki for those.

I don't think the dressing is necessary. You want the crunchiness of the phyllo and the creaminess of the spinach cheese filling. We usually have ground lamb kabobs or meatballs with it. We use tzatziki for those.

I can live with that. Cheers.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom