Recipe Spanish Chicken Stew

Perhaps my problem is I've been using the wrong Chorizo!
Only recently I have become reacquainted with Chorizo. For years I have avoided the regular supermarket stuff as it's way too smokey for my taste, and tends to overpower everything. Last weekend whilst visiting a speciality food market I found a local pig farmer selling his own home made Chorizo. I was totally blown away by the taste so we bought 3 for £10. One is a fairly strong garlic recipe, yet to be tried but I suspect it may end up in a dish such as the above. Of the other two one is a traditional Spanish style, heavy on pimento but not too smokey, the third is very subtle with thyme being the dominant taste - divine.I've even used them in a sandwich - my new favourite lunchtime tapas sandwich! Sliced Chorizo, blue Stilton cheese, homemade plum chutney and chopped cornichons on pumpkin seed bread. Sorry to hijack the thread but I just couldn't help myself! The Spanish chicken stew sound great - maybe another contestant for the cook along?

Only recently I have become reacquainted with Chorizo. For years I have avoided the regular supermarket stuff as it's way too smokey for my taste, and tends to overpower everything. Last weekend whilst visiting a speciality food market I found a local pig farmer selling his own home made Chorizo. I was totally blown away by the taste so we bought 3 for £10. One is a fairly strong garlic recipe, yet to be tried but I suspect it may end up in a dish such as the above. Of the other two one is a traditional Spanish style, heavy on pimento but not too smokey, the third is very subtle with thyme being the dominant taste - divine.I've even used them in a sandwich - my new favourite lunchtime tapas sandwich! Sliced Chorizo, blue Stilton cheese, homemade plum chutney and chopped cornichons on pumpkin seed bread. Sorry to hijack the thread but I just couldn't help myself! The Spanish chicken stew sound great - maybe another contestant for the cook along?

You’re not hijacking the thread, that kind of discussion is the raison d’etre of this website, seems to me.

In terms of the cookalong, it seems to me that the problem would be that this recipe is so simple, and not really with that much scope for interpretation. You would be likely to get a lot of very similar results. I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong, maybe people would surprise me and then it actually could be interesting. When someone mentioned lasagne for the cookalong, I was remembering a Masterchef contestant who did a dessert that they described as lasagne. There wasn’t even any pasta involved. I suppose all they meant is that it was layered. But then they just as easily could have called it moussaka, I suppose.

Now who’s hijacking the thread…

I tried this Spanish Chicken Stew recipe tonight (slight adaptations) and it was incredibly tasty!
icon_thumleft.gif
I would have taken a photo but it didn't look that great (dingy colours).

My adaptations were chicken thighs (I prefer their flavour), deskinned and the skins rendering their fat (starting off in a cold frying pan). You get to eat the crispy skin too which, in itself, is quite a perk! I used half the quantity so didn't want to buy a whole chorizo sausage. I noted the weight of this then ordered thickly sliced chorizo from the deli counter which I chopped up. I used the thigh bones to make stock but added a stock cube to it to bolster the flavour. It took about 10 mins longer to simmer, since it was thigh meat. I halved the black olives (since they had stones). I think maybe adding them for the last 10 mins would be sufficient for them to impart flavour whilst being recognisable still as olives!

I tried this Spanish Chicken Stew recipe tonight (slight adaptations) and it was incredibly tasty!
icon_thumleft.gif
I would have taken a photo but it didn't look that great (dingy colours).

My adaptations were chicken thighs (I prefer their flavour), deskinned and the skins rendering their fat (starting off in a cold frying pan). You get to eat the crispy skin too which, in itself, is quite a perk! I used half the quantity so didn't want to buy a whole chorizo sausage. I noted the weight of this then ordered thickly sliced chorizo from the deli counter which I chopped up. I used the thigh bones to make stock but added a stock cube to it to bolster the flavour. It took about 10 mins longer to simmer, since it was thigh meat. I halved the black olives (since they had stones). I think maybe adding them for the last 10 mins would be sufficient for them to impart flavour whilst being recognisable still as olives!

Glad you tried it, glad you liked it and I applaud your revisions. It has to be the surest sign of someone who can actually cook when they don't simply slavishly follow a recipe, but take the fundamental idea of the recipe and adapt it to their own tastes - or those of whom they are catering for!

@Ken Natton,

Cannelli beans are Italian.

Alubias Blancas are Spanish White Beans and they have a different profile than the Italian Cannelli beans. We also have a White Bean called Pochas, however, they are much much larger than the Alubias. The Alubia is smaller than a Cannelli bean.

Nice recipe .. I think I would use "fresh sausage " called Salchichas which are less invasive than cured chorizo ..

Have a lovely weekend.

Back
Top Bottom