10 strands of saffron
50 g of chopped nuts
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 whole cloves
10-20 black peppercorns, according to taste
4 cm piece of cinnamon (cassia)
Salt, to taste

Method:

1. Rinse the rice in several changes of water until the water runs clear. Then soak the rice for 20 minutes in cold water and drain.

2. Meanwhile, boil the kettle, put the dried soft fruit into a bowl and cover with hot water. In a separate bowl, soak the saffron strands in 2 tablespoons of hot water.

3. When the rice has finished soaking, place a lidded saucepan on a medium heat. When hot, put the chopped nuts into the pan and toast them for a minute or two until they turn a shade darker, then remove to a plate.

4. Melt the butter in the same pan, then add the cloves, black peppercorns and cinnamon. When the cloves and black peppercorns swell and smell fragrant, drain the rice and add to the pan along with the salt. Stir well to coat the rice in butter, then pour in 300 ml of boiling water. Cover, turn the heat down, and simmer for about 25 minutes until the water has evaporated.

5. When the rice is cooked, leave to rest for 5 minutes, then fluff up with a fork.

6. In the meantime, drain the fruit and chop it into small pieces.

7. Fold the dried fruit and nuts into the rice, drizzle over the saffron strands together with the soaking liquid, adjust seasoning if necessary, and serve.

Very nice. This has some definite North African influences. Do you just work around the peppercorns and cloves after draining the rice? Now, I'm thinking I need to get a spice bag (or just tie off some cheesecloth) for easy removal.

Lovely, it looks so succulent somehow - very Persian.

Do you just work around the peppercorns and cloves after draining the rice?

You work around the peppercorns if you must - but I would eat them. Thery get softened by cooking. Its part of the appearance and charm of rice dishes like this. The cinnamon (I think you meant cinnamon/cassia stick not cloves?) you wouldn't eat but you would serve it on the plate as part of the dish.

I think you meant cinnamon/cassia stick not cloves?
No...I was talking about the cloves. A cinnamon stick is fairly easy to avoid accidentally eating.

I know, as a cook, I can make my own decisions about things like this, but I'm just wondering what the intended end state is for the dish, since I do plan on making it.

No...I was talking about the cloves. A cinnamon stick is fairly easy to avoid accidentally eating.

I know, as a cook, I can make my own decisions about things like this, but I'm just wondering what the intended end state is for the dish, since I do plan on making it.

Sorry - the cloves I think are eaten optionally! But certainly for serving you ought to leave everything in. See what @Elawin thinks...

Back
Top Bottom