Recipe Spicy Vegan Tofu Seafood Cakes

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:50 PM
OK - I know its a contradiction; vegan recipes can't contain seafood. Strictly speaking maybe not, but these seafood cakes use seaweed which is a sea food, is it not? I fry the cakes first and then finish in the oven as I find they are apt to brown too much if just fried.

fullsizeoutput_2ee6.jpeg

Ingredients (makes 4 cakes)
190g firm tofu, drained thoroughly patted dry
150g cold mashed potato (nothing added)
1 tbs white wine vinegar
Juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tsp salt
Zest of a lime
1 heaped tbsp of rehydrated dried seaweed
2 birds-eye chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp gram flour
Dried breadcrumbs to coat
Oil for frying

Method
  1. Crumble the tofu into a bowl and mix in the vinegar, lime juice and salt. Cover and leave overnight (not in the fridge).
  2. Squeeze down the tofu with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Mix the mashed potato with the tofu.
  3. Dry the rehydrated seaweed on a paper towel and add to the tofu/potato mix.
  4. Mix in the chillies, lime zest, nutritional yeast and gram flour. Add salt to taste.
  5. Shape the tofu into ’cakes’ and coat with breadcrumbs
  6. Place the tofu cakes in the fridge for 20 mins to firm up. Heat the oven to 180 C.
  7. Fry the tofu cakes in oil for a few minutes on each side until lightly golden brown.
  8. Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 15 mins.
  9. Serve with Vegan Lime Tartare Sauce

fullsizeoutput_2ed6.jpeg

Last edited:
@morning glory - these look absolutely spectacular !

I'm on the lookout for tofu recipes (good protein) and this one is now on my list. After months of looking, I've finally sourced kombu (seaweed sheets) but whether I can get hold of the seaweed you used is another matter. But I will try. And I'll have to research nutritional yeast - not heard of it before

@morning glory - these look absolutely spectacular !

I'm on the lookout for tofu recipes (good protein) and this one is now on my list. After months of looking, I've finally sourced kombu (seaweed sheets) but whether I can get hold of the seaweed you used is another matter. But I will try. And I'll have to research nutritional yeast - not heard of it before

Thank you! Nutritional yeast is something I'd never heard of until my son turned vegan. Its incredibly useful for adding a umami flavour to almost anthing - soup, stews etc. It may well be something you can't get in France... I get it from Ocado. I now have an idea for a new thread...

71135011_0_640x640.jpg

Thank you! Nutritional yeast is something I'd never heard of until my son turned vegan. Its incredibly useful for adding a umami flavour to almost anthing - soup, stews etc. It may well be something you can't get in France... I get it from Ocado. I now have an idea for a new thread..….

Did you take that idea any further? I was in a local supermarket today and spotted in the 'health food' section a jar of Yeast Flakes. I now have the French translation of nutritional yeast - hardly surprisingly it's "levure nutritionelle". Next time I'm in the store I'll check for that on the product and if it's right, then I'll buy some. Still unsure as to what I'd use it for - but it would give me an extra incentive to buy it if I know you're about to launch an article entitled '1001 things to do with nutritional yeast in the kitchen' ...

Did you take that idea any further? I was in a local supermarket today and spotted in the 'health food' section a jar of Yeast Flakes. I now have the French translation of nutritional yeast - hardly surprisingly it's "levure nutritionelle". Next time I'm in the store I'll check for that on the product and if it's right, then I'll buy some. Still unsure as to what I'd use it for - but it would give me an extra incentive to buy it if I know you're about to launch an article entitled '1001 things to do with nutritional yeast in the kitchen' ...

I will try to do something - I'm a bit of a novice using it myself. My idea for a thread was more generic and to do with store cupboard ingredients that vegans/vegetarians need to know about (including nutritional yeast). I will get round to it soon... :happy:

Back
Top Bottom