Recipe Spinach garlic pasta with Marsala, sweet onion, garlic sauce

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:25 AM
This is DEFINITELY not a date night meal unless you both really like garlic. The good thing though is no vampires will want to be around you!

2017-09-30 19.10.32.jpg

Pasta

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more as needed
2 eggs
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pound fresh spinach, blanched, cooled slightly, squeezed very dry and finely chopped
6 large cloves garlic, very finely chopped, preferably microplane grated
1/2 tsp Salt
Water as needed

Sauce
1/2 cup/8 Tbsp Butter
1 pound Vidalia onions/Sweet onions, sliced
1/3 cup chopped garlic, about 12 large cloves
1 Tbsp Honey
1/4 cup Marsala wine

You can make the pasta the traditional way by making a well of about 1 cup flour on a board, placing the eggs in the center with the olive oil, spinach, garlic, and salt, then mixing and adding in flour as needed.

Or, and I prefer this method as you get a smoother dough, you can place about a cup of floor and salt into a food processor, pulse to mix, then add spinach and garlic, pulsing several times to chop up spinach and garlic even finer, add remaining ingredients, pulsing until it starts to form a ball. You may need to add a bit of water depending on how dry your spinach was. Then, scrape dough out onto a floured board and knead until smooth, silky, and just slightly sticky, adding flour as needed.

Form dough into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and let rest for 15-20 minutes at minimum. I usually make it earlier in the day and refrigerate, taking it out an hour or so before we are ready to start dinner so it will warm up.

Divide dough into quarters or thirds depending on your pasta machine and roll dough to desired thickness, flouring as needed. We usually take it to #5 out of #6 settings on our machine. Cut into 1/2 inch or so widths and flour well. Set aside and make sauce.

To make sauce, over medium heat add butter and oil to a large skillet. Add onions and garlic, cover and cook until soft, about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in honey and reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine and cook 5 to 10 minutes more.

Shake off the excess flour from pasta and cook in a large amount of salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Drain. Pour sauce over pasta; toss gently to coat.

The pasta dough freezes well, just form it into a disk, wrap it well in plastic, place in a plastic bag and freeze. Don't try to shape and then freeze. It becomes very brittle and breaks.

Last edited:
You're one of the few people I've seen besides me that adds olive oil and salt to the pasta. But, I add more salt (my proportion is 1 tsp for this amount of flour): the salt in the pasta means I don't add salt to the water. I'm going to try this way some time, where the salt serves more to bring up the flavor of the garlic and the spinach in the pasta.

Embedding the garlic in the pasta is also a clever idea. Great recipe.

Last edited:
I didn't write this in the recipe, but it's essential that the spinach and garlic be finely chopped before going into the food processor. Otherwise, you'll end up with chunks of garlic and spinach in your pasta instead of a fairly smooth dough.

Yes, I learned this from experience. :shy:

Back
Top Bottom