Spinach, spinach and more spinach

louisacooks

Über Member
Local time
5:19 PM
The garden is producing a glut of spinach right now and after making spinach soup, cheese and spinach empanadas and using it as a salad leaf and pizza topping I am running out of ideas- any suggestions?

I know you are asking for recipes... but you could cook it in boiling water, drain and squeeze dry, chop it up and store in flat pack freezer bags. Just put spinach in the bag (mine are zip-lock) and flatten it out. This way they can be stored flat on the bottom of the freezer and don't take up valuable space.

Last edited:
Morning glory you just reminded me. OMG you can dry it. lay the leaves on parchment and put into a warm oven say 200 or less, if you can go lower in temp do it. they just need to DRY OUT then you can crush and use a garnish on soups etc. like a seasoning.

Oooh not thought of drying it. The freezer is usually packed with the veg I don't like to can (peas carrots peppers etc etc) so other methods would be best.

The garden is producing a glut of spinach right now and after making spinach soup, cheese and spinach empanadas and using it as a salad leaf and pizza topping I am running out of ideas- any suggestions?

I found a great book yesterday called "Fresh All The Year" by Gail Duff, 1976 Macmillan. It's devoted to making the most out of seasonal garden produce. The chapter on May features no less than ten recipes for spinach:
Creamed spinach
Spinach au gratin
Spinach soup
Spinach beurre noire
Spinach omlette
Spinach and eggs nicoise
Spinach and ham quiche
Spinach and cod salad
Raw spinach salad
Spinach pate

I don't have time to put them all up here but I'm sure a search engine will oblige. The spinach pate sounds really good, I will try it over the weekend and if it works I will put up the recipe.

Do some sort of stir fry using pasta and while you are at it you can enter said recipe in the Challenge which you can read all about here : https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/the-cookingbites-recipe-challenge.6160.
Of course that's just to get you interested in the Challenge:happy:. I refuse to Google this so as not to inundate you with recipes but speaking from experience I use spinach in several made up variations using rice, and chicken. There is no limit to the things you can play around with. Sorry for not being more specific. I am just saying create, create, create and share, share, share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom