Spring Planting

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
4:27 PM
I am late starting my seedlings. Just ordered seeds today. Spring planting in my region is late February to mid March. Late again. My Honey needs to build 2 more table height boxes before spring. Must have 4 boxes. Stupid cold weather earlier in the week but I have spring fever. Need to plant something and get my hands in soil.

I am SOOO blessed with a very long growing season. I cry about the cold but it is always short lived. You will hear me bitch about the extreme heat and humidity during the summer. Just must have something to complain about. Yuck, Yuck!! Spring is on the horizon. Need to get going prepping for the growing season.

Baby brother has seeds sprouting in his green house. He watches the weather closely. Last year he planted seedlings in the last week of February. A month before I did.

Time to grow!

@MypinchofItaly
Basil is an annual. It will bolt, flower, produce seeds and die regardless of the growing conditions. You can fool Mother Nature for a while by pinching the flowers off but she always gets her way in the end. Harvest the seeds and plant more.
There is a misconception that Bonsai is an indoor plant. It really isn't. Bonsai are outdoor trees or shrubs that have been deliberately stunted and shaped. It has been a long time since I grew Bonsai - years. The only success I had was keeping two plants. One inside and one outside rotated every two weeks.

@MypinchofItaly & @ElizabethB

My Genovese Basil ( tribe, as we have several ) do not like direct summer sunlight out on terrace and they dislike the Winter .. So, we have them indoors,
with lots of light but no direct sun .. They are cared for by my two sons, parents or secretary when we travel ..

Plant killer !! Ha Ha ..

Well, I do not have a " Green Thumb " either, however, I do okay with the herbs ..

Have a wonderful day ladies ..

@MypinchofItaly & @ElizabethB

My Genovese Basil ( tribe, as we have several ) do not like direct summer sunlight out on terrace and they dislike the Winter .. So, we have them indoors,
with lots of light but no direct sun .. They are cared for by my two sons, parents or secretary when we travel ..

Plant killer !! Ha Ha ..

Well, I do not have a " Green Thumb " either, however, I do okay with the herbs ..

Have a wonderful day ladies ..

:facepalm:
here, I did exactly the opposite ... poor basil plant. I'll buy a new plant and see how it goes.....

@MypinchofItaly
Basil is an annual. It will bolt, flower, produce seeds and die regardless of the growing conditions. You can fool Mother Nature for a while by pinching the flowers off but she always gets her way in the end. Harvest the seeds and plant more.
There is a misconception that Bonsai is an indoor plant. It really isn't. Bonsai are outdoor trees or shrubs that have been deliberately stunted and shaped. It has been a long time since I grew Bonsai - years. The only success I had was keeping two plants. One inside and one outside rotated every two weeks.

Bonsai hates me, I know .. loses the leaves .. I continue to change it places but it is always worse .. I speak to it but nothing ... does not answer! hahahaha

I ordered seeds for seven varieties of heirloom tomato seeds. Also a pack of long Asian eggplant seeds. I have cucumber and basil seeds. Will get seeds for Black Beauty eggplant, jalapeno peppers, sweet banana peppers and other peppers. My oregano died. The sage is still hanging in there. Thyme looks whimpy. May need to plant more. Must get a rosemary plant and some dill and fennel seed. I have lettuce seed from fall planting. A good cool weather crop. Now I need to sit down and map out my boxes and pots.

I enjoy playing in the dirt as much as I enjoy playing with food.

I ordered seeds for seven varieties of heirloom tomato seeds. Also a pack of long Asian eggplant seeds. I have cucumber and basil seeds. Will get seeds for Black Beauty eggplant, jalapeno peppers, sweet banana peppers and other peppers. My oregano died. The sage is still hanging in there. Thyme looks whimpy. May need to plant more. Must get a rosemary plant and some dill and fennel seed. I have lettuce seed from fall planting. A good cool weather crop. Now I need to sit down and map out my boxes and pots.

I enjoy playing in the dirt as much as I enjoy playing with food.

wonderful! I have no chance to plant seeds, I have a terrace but with plants (do not ask me how they are still alive!) .. my husband is more fond of me for seeds, plants, and his dream is to have a vegetable garden and plant seeds for vegetables and fruit. At his father's house in Rome he has a very large garden with wonderful fruit plants, but there the climate is warmer than in Milan and then they also have the sea.
Even my husband likes to play with the land like you .. once he planted the seeds of papaya .... in Saronno ?? They died before they even reached the terrace ... I have to rent a piece of land to let confides him with the garden!

Spring planting? I don't think so, at least not with a tiny garden and one long-legged, very fast mutt doing zoomies round it. However, my pepper plants have survived indoors, and one of my pots of basil has survived in spite of being in a very cold kitchen. The parsley has survived too, in spite of one of my cats trying to eat it. As for my blackberries, the weather has been so up and down, I haven't finished cutting it back from last year. The hazel trees and the apple tree look after themselves, as do the elder trees, although one has just had a bit of pruning - it decided to spread outwards rather than upwards. Half the problem is trying to find something that the mutt won't eat and enjoy, eat and make himself sick, or just annihilate. :laugh: On the other hand, I've never been any good at gardening anyway :D

The only fruit tree in the yard is a Satsuma Orange tree. A small, sweet orange. Citrus trees are semi tropical. They do not like sub freezing temperatures. Last year we had two days of below freezing temps. The tree lost all of it's leaves but did not suffer from dead stems. The graft did not suffer. We had no blooms or fruit. This year the weather has been stupid crazy. Extreme cold with temps below freezing for several days at a time. My Honey Bear tended our tree like a child. He put long stakes around the tree and tied tarps and visqueen around the tree. He put two 100 watt shop lights at the base of the tree, inside of his "tent". The tree has little damage. Some of the upper limb tips are burned from the freeze. The graft is healthy. Hopefully a little judicious pruning will foster blooms and fruit.
G loves his satsumas and will be very disappointed if it does not bloom and fruit. I spoke to our County Agent for advise on post freeze care and pruning. His advice is heavy watering. Generous fertilization mid February and moderate pruning. My fingers are crossed. After all of his effort to protect the tree I really want G to have fruit next fall.

Back
Top Bottom