Starting my weight loss journey today...

L_B

Veteran
Local time
11:15 AM
Well today is the day I start trying to get some of this weight off before summer arrives.
I was reminded by somebody yesterday about how fat I am. It hurt at first but then I decided to use that negative comment to inspire me. I am looking for some ideas for some healthy low cal meals. What is your favorite go to meal when you are trying to lose weight?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to join you. Some years ago someone I grew up with exclaimed that I was 'running to fat' basically meaning I was very fat as I was about 90-100 up until about 21 when he would have last seen me. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I get some very insulting comments but I just let it go most times.

I saw a weight loss challenge (7 days, we might want more time than that:happy:) recently that said you should not eat bread, drink 6 glasses of water, lots of green vegetables, chicken breast and few other things I don't remember now. Yes.. no sweet drinks of course and no sugar or very little. Truth is I have seen and tried to adopt these practices but it doesn't last for long. I am rooting for you and will share what other tips I find along the way.

I am going to be starting one too..but I need a few specialized ingredients that are going to have to wait until I get a check I need. This month is quite tight on money, as I had a variety of bills to pay. Plus it is very cold now, and there are a lot of smoothies involved with the 20/20 diet plan. I am starting for sure when I get a bit of cash I don't direly need, and hopefully it will be a bit warmer then too.

Well today is the day I start trying to get some of this weight off before summer arrives.
I was reminded by somebody yesterday about how fat I am. It hurt at first but then I decided
to use that negative comment to inspire me. I am looking for some ideas for some healthy
low cal meals. What is your favorite go to meal when you are trying to lose weight?
I was chatting to someone else here and mentioned I might post some of my ideas for 200 Kcal meals. I'll have to trawl through my recipe book. But as you like mushrooms - then that's a good start. You just need to cook them without fat!

I have always found that if you stick to 1200 kcals per day then the weight will drop off. But you have to stick to it. So - if you have a list of 200 Kcal meals, it means you can eat 6 times a day! My downfall is alcohol - which has as many calories as fruit juice (don't ever kid yourself that fruit juice is low calories!). If I give up drinking I find it easy to shed weight. 1200Kcals is really quite a lot of food!

Last edited:
When I am on a diet, I avoid eating rice. Sometimes I have bread with meat or fish but what works for me is the salad. Vegetable salads make me lose weight faster. But the drawback is that I easily get hungry so I tend to snack on anything that I lay my hands on. But with a little perseverance, I am able to last 2 weeks on vegetables and fruits. And for a nightcap when I feel hungry during bedtime, I eat a few pieces of prunes. It helps the digestive system so my morning ritual is great.

I find soups are filling - as long as they're not super greasy or anything they can be pretty healthy. Lots of lentils, broth and veggies tend to be a good idea! I also like wraps with chicken and salad - I don't use mayo or anything, if I need some sort of sauce I have hummus or even just a bit of smashed avocado is good!

Cut down on sugar. Say no to desserts. Avoid soda and aerated drinks. Say no to rice. But along with the diet, make sure to exercise. Dieting and exercise go hand in hand.

Thank you everybody for all the advice. This is great. I made it through Day One and did really well. Now on to day 2. So far so good but it is still early yet. @morning glory I would be interested in seeing those 200 Kcal meals. That sounds great to me and what I would be looking for in a meal. It is amazing how much you can eat with so little calories if you really watch what you are eating. I am also going to make sure I get in my water in each day. I normally don't drink enough of it. Alcohol is a big thing to me too because I enjoy my beer on the weekend. I will have to watch that one. They have the low cal beer with just 67 calories. A may be able to have a few of those if I feel to have a drink. I am feeling determined and motivated. I really want to get some of this weight off before summer arrives.

I would love to join you. Some years ago someone I grew up with exclaimed that I was 'running to fat' basically meaning I was very fat as I was about 90-100 up until about 21 when he would have last seen me. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I get some very insulting comments but I just let it go most times.

I saw a weight loss challenge (7 days, we might want more time than that:happy:) recently that said you should not eat bread, drink 6 glasses of water, lots of green vegetables, chicken breast and few other things I don't remember now. Yes.. no sweet drinks of course and no sugar or very little. Truth is I have seen and tried to adopt these practices but it doesn't last for long. I am rooting for you and will share what other tips I find along the way.

It is always great to have others join along. It is great for motivation! I would really like if we could do this together. The challenge sound great and some great advice. Bread is a big one for me. I tend to eat too much carbs so I have to learn ways up cutting down on that.

It is always great to have others join along. It is great for motivation! I would really like if we could do this together. The challenge sound great and some great advice. Bread is a big one for me. I tend to eat too much carbs so I have to learn ways up cutting down on that.
So how is it going?I am trying but this morning I had for the first time some crescent rolls and I suppose that is as good as having bread. Then I was going good with water and late last night I had some mauby (sugary drink) so I guess I have to start all over today. Yesterday two customers came by. One almost broke the scale I keep in the store. His friend on the other hand who was well over 200lbs was now weighing 170 as he has been on some sort of alkaline diet.

Last edited:
So how is it going?I am trying but this morning I had for the first time some crescent rolls and I suppose that is as good as having bread. Then I was going good with water and late last night I had some mauby (sugary drink) so I guess I have to start all over today. Yesterday two customers came by. One almost broke the scale I keep in the store. His friend on the other hand who was well over 200lbs was now weighing 170 as he has been on some sort of alkaline diet.

It is going good for me so far. The past two days I have managed to stay with the calorie range I set. I also had a crescent rolls yesterday but it didn't put me over. Carbs are something that I really need to work on. I eat far too many of them, they are my weakness. Just taking one day at a time. Next week I will start adding an exercise program of some sort.

It is going good for me so far. The past two days I have managed to stay with the calorie range I set. I also had a crescent rolls yesterday but it didn't put me over. Carbs are something that I really need to work on. I eat far too many of them, they are my weakness. Just taking one day at a time. Next week I will start adding an exercise program of some sort.
You read my mind. I was going to ask if you intend to exercise. I am so out of shape. I walk a few stairs and I am puffing and panting. Not good. I will keep trying and even if I don't do as well as you do know I am rooting for you.

Brilliant. I think you and @winterybella make a good team for supporting each other in weight loss. I agree about carbs. I'd choose them over fat any day. But that's not such a bad thing as you can eat carbs without the calories going through the roof. Just don't add fats to the carbs!

A medium sized baked potato is about 160 cals. Add butter or cheese on top and you could quite easily double or treble the cals. Add low fat yoghurt dressing (no oil, just mix a tsp dijon mustard and a tbsp of plain low fat yoghurt, salt and pepper to taste). Mix some cooked prawns into the yoghurt dressing (about 40g ) and pile on top of the baked potato. This should come in under 200 calories!

what a coincidence.I am also starting my weight loss journey today. I hope to cut 2 kg weight every week. My diet plan includes vegetable soup 4 times in a day. Pop corn three times a day and juice once a day.

Reactions: L_B
Back
Top Bottom